• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking to a proper Brummie who lives in Lichfield now.We used to live next door to him.He was on about his next door neighbour.
I couldn't stop laughing
He was saying Hes going YAMPY and round the Twist.
Haven't heard them sayings for Donkeys years :laughing::laughing:

Not new to me, it's one we used as kids, haven't heard it for years but then I am living in 'vurren' parts :)

The locals here have their own language, dying out now, trapped between the Severn and the Wye an almost closed community for centuries until the M50 and the Severn Bridge opened it up.

Rose tinted glasses on there Steve, as I recall even then there were thieves around who would steal your socks if you didn't have your boots laced up tight. :)

I should post this on the old saying thread but could not resist.

“he would steal the gravy out of your pie”. And “when you shake hands with him, count your fingers afterwards”

Again probably best in the old sayings thread, though and once (by a Brummie) was "He would steal the disinfectant blocks out of the urinal"

Hi, The saying is often said when a job that at first appears to be difficult but is not so hard when you think about, it is completed.

Arthur Belfour was appointed Chief Secretary for Ireland. The appointment was suprising and unpopular and many thought he wasn't qualified for the job.

So why did he get the job so easily?

The answer was simple the Prime Minister was the Marquess of Salisbury, Robert Gascoyne-Cecil was his uncle.
It turned out it was easy for him to get the job because:

'Bob's his Uncle'.

BOBS YOUR (YER) UNCLE!!! Was one of my dear Dads sayings wonder where that one came from?

Hi, The saying is often said when a job that at first appears to be difficult but is not so hard when you think about, it is completed.

Arthur Belfour was appointed Chief Secretary for Ireland. The appointment was suprising and unpopular and many thought he wasn't qualified for the job.

So why did he get the job so easily?

The answer was simple the Prime Minister was the Marquess of Salisbury, Robert Gascoyne-Cecil was his uncle.
It turned out it was easy for him to get the job because:

'Bob's his Uncle'.
Did he have an aunty Fanny?

I thought of another of Nan's today, I was looking at our flowers which have shot up around the side door. When something or a situation was nice, or not as nice as you might have thought, she used it to be sarcastic often, and would sing., "Roses round the dower reminds me of muther mower". On reflection today I thought maybe she meant reminds me of mother, more. I always thought it was someone called Mother Moore. As Mother Moore was the dragon who kept the corner shop.

‘Clod hopper’. Used this a lot when I was younger, but not heard it for a long time. Is it a regional term ? Viv.

‘Clod hopper’. Used this a lot when I was younger, but not heard it for a long time. Is it a regional term ? Viv.
if my feet were in the way dad would say shift your clod hoppers....

It was usually used, as a term of derision, by townspeople at the expense of muddy booted yokels - much in the way the 'bog-trotter' is now used to defame the rural **ish.

Since the early 19th century, in the UK and USA, 'clod-hoppers' were also the name given to ploughmen's boots.

Last edited:
there's always a light at the end of the tunnel.

This metaphoric expression dates from the 1800s, but became widespread only in the mid-1900s.

Watching a T.V. programme this afternoon my wife made a comment about one of the people appearing which immediately took me back to my childhood and to one of my grandma's sayings, "Er looks like a fairy on a gob o' lard"
LOL

In 50s Birmingham, any woman who exhibited airs and graces could be referred to as "Lady Muck", and also as "Lady Docker" by womenfolk, my mother included. A quick check online reveals that the said lady was born in 1906 and died in 1983, so was still going strong when she was a figure of amusement. A socialite who became wealthy by marriages, she and her third husband were renowned for their extravagant lifestyle.

Mr. or Lady Muck was used wider than the Birmingham area. I encountered its use in The Potteries. I actually heard it said in Longton by children in Grosvenor Street (probably gone but probably rebuilt with more modern housing). They pronounced their street as 'grozvenor' rather than the customary 'grove nor'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back