• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
The backsides (or words to that effect) you kick on the way up may be the same backsides you have to kiss on the way down.

Up and down like a fiddler’s elbow.

(Sporting) Strung out like a washing line.

Couldn’t pot a plant.

Whipper in.
Up and down like a bride's nightie. My mate heard that one when he moved to Brum
As a youngster I loved SUGAR in everything. My Dad use to say "John, sugar is to sweeten NOT to thicken"
Nan would say she was sweet enough. It's as old as the hills but I still smile if anyone asks me do I want stuffing.

With the new railway on the news I thought of my Nan singing, Marie Lloyd's Oh Mr Porter, What shall I do? You put me on to Birmingham, (or sometimes Burnymung) an' I wanted to go to Crewe.
Also what sounded like the end of a song....or a snippet of one, she often did that, to me, day dreaming, Dreaming of home and mutherrrrr! A penny for em! I never got the penny.
Yer daddy's muther!, she might stick that on the end of a song.
And "coo - oo! Bring yer bowel out!" I think a bowel was a hoop. She said bowels for bowls. as in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Scot's colleague used to say ...... I've chucked worse things in the midden than they've got in their hoose.
Dad said, there's a moose loose aboot this hoose. Was that a popular saying.?

How are you? Oh rubbin an wearin.....I am OK
Well god stripe me!......goodness me
Hold me hand....till love comes
Look at old slobber chops. Ar cor stand all that kissin an sloppin on TV.
Ee's never known ta knock.........he never refuses anything
Ee ay back'erd at comin' forr'ed...he is not shy
Yow cor tek 'im anywheere, only back ta jollop eyes......apologise

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of the mouths of babes, I don't know if that is from the bible.
God willing,
God rest his soul.
My Irish friend's gran said, Lord have mercy on him. And PG in her letters I had to ask, it meant, please god.
Nan would say when she was going, take up thy bed and walk, but not when great gran gran was alive, she said it was blasphemy.
Cleanliness in next to godliness.
I don't know him from Adam.
Where you born in a barn? (for forgetting to close the door).
God works in mysterious ways his wonders to perform. Most of these were my dad's.
If you sup with the devil you need a long spoon.

.Bachelor's Day.........I hope i don't get asked,i ain't buying no fur coats.........Bachelor's Day is an Irish tradition on Leap Day allowing women to initiate dances and propose marriage. If the proposal was refused the man was expected to buy the woman a silk gown or, by the mid-20th century, a fur coat. The tradition is supposed to originate from a deal that Saint Bridget struck with Saint Patrick.

Did she fall or was she pushed?
My sainted aunt!
I wonder who these people were? e.g.
For Pete's sake
Dolly Dimple
Dolly Daydream
Janey Flippet,
Irish friend said Janey Mac, and sometimes followed by me shirt is black.
Pregnant Annie
Fat Annie
Mad Anna
Fanny Ann
Plain Jane
We had half a crown Lil, and a fag ash Lil, at work, neither were christened Lil though.
Dirty Gertie from number 30
Nice one Cyril
John Bull
A proper Charllie
A right Herbet
Whispering Jack Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back