• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Merriam-Webster dictionary:
Finagle -
transitive verb
1: To obtain by indirect or involved means
'finagle a ride home'.
2: to obtain by trickery
'finangled his way into the concert'.
intransitive verb
to use devious or dishonest methods to achieve one's ends
First known use 1924, perhaps from fainaigue to renege

Fainaigue is a word I remember from my childhood - I thought it meant to give up on something you were trying to do?

Goo on, 'ave a go Joe, yer mother won't know!
A ruck o' kids
He's got the tail on again.
They ay got two brass farthings to rub together

Nan.... - Ram dressed up as lamb,
the tilsietty - the loo,

'appy as a pig in muck.
bum fodder - toilet paper.
If a person started at you they were gawpy,
If Nan caught them looking in her window, yow got yer eye full mate?
When I was in my teens Nan called one of our neighbours Gawpy Gob to his face, because he was, gawping at her. And later when I worked at the Newspaper I was always sent to serve the bad debters, the odd balls, the smelly customers, nutters, aggressive ones and anybody the reps didn't want to see. And one was him, and he remembered!

It's an old one.... but ....Nan would say when things got her down, shove a bass broom up me @xxe an arl goo round wi that!

When I was in my teens Nan called one of our neighbours Gawpy Gob to his face, because he was, gawping at her. And later when I worked at the Newspaper I was always sent to serve the bad debters, the odd balls, the smelly customers, nutters, aggressive ones and anybody the reps didn't want to see. And one was him, and he remembered!

Nico, It looks like your Nan called a spade a spade, didn’t beat about the bush, and didn’t suffer fools gladly,

if you make a rude noise, and someones around, blow your nose hard,its a similar sound
dont mock the afflicted

I had customers here named Nutter, their son courted an Australian girl, she wouldn't marry a 'nutter' so he had to change his name, he changed it to Turner.

His mother told me it was all us Brummies fault. :)

Maurice,had that happen a few times to me in my youth.As my Mother always said ALWAYS KEEP YOUR HAND ON YOUR HALFPENNY( APENEE)

Nico, It looks like your Nan called a spade a spade, didn’t beat about the bush, and didn’t suffer fools gladly,
Like a lot of women of her day were I think, blunt, strong, hard working, funny, cruel to be kind, she said, jack of all trades, master of none, warm, 'missed the boat' (her chance, but her choice), bitter, long suffering, yet loving and very kind - but she would like you to know it!

Reading all the lovely tributes to Nans & Grandads on here is great. I never knew my Nan & grandad so looks like i missed out on a few treats! I still had a fantastic childhood but early adulthood sucked!!
Sorry you had a not so nice youth. I struggled in my early teens too.
Nan called my dad terrible names with terrible tales and I believed it as an innocent. She could spin a good yarn. As I grew older I realised 'supernan' wasn't always so super as she caused a lot of trouble. Got me in to trouble repeating what she said, at home, at school, with neighbours. "It wants me there I'd tell em!" I can still smile now. Yow'm granny reared!" "Oh so I do nothing!" snorted mum, and not just my nan, my mate's gran stirred it too. Grandad kept the nasty naughty Nan in check, but he died young. But I think of my family sayings and doings all the time, I get on other peoples' nerves now. Like when someone pours me a drink, "has the boat gone past" or "bend yer wrist!" But I am so lucky and so glad I had them all.

I just remembered a song Great Gran sang. I don't know if it's a real song. She had trouble getting up and then walking, and would sing, I'm a comin', on a donkey, open the gaaairt, an' let me in. Twice.

"Av a look an see if 'ees got 'airs growin' in the middle of the palm of 'is 'ond. Cuz ee ay royt in 'is jed!"
(He is mad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back