• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this before, My Nan's take on Tutankhamun was Nutty Cayman,
Then, I thought how Stewpony got its name from Estepona.
Tighnabruaich, a village in Scotland Nan visited. I am told you say Tee nuh broo uhk,. Her second husband part Scot part idiot said it was Titna braagh, so I can't put most things Nan called it. One was Tittle me bra.
She called Birmingham, Burnymung.
Nan went to Balone too, Boulogne.
I was often called Cough Drop

Do you know the origins of any of these Simon? They came from my mate's gran, from Belfast, Newry then Dublin.
Are you hot in your leather? (if you were not wearing much, )

I was just looking for the answer to this question and had to ask my dad who's from Dublin. This was his response:
I’d guess the ref is to a person’s own skin. Your own skin is enough to keep you warm i.e., you don’t need clothes to stay warm. It would be said, as I’m sure you know, to someone who is out in very cold weather with very light or little clothes on.

I’d guess the ref is to a person’s own skin. Your own skin is enough to keep you warm i.e., you don’t need clothes to stay warm. It would be said, as I’m sure you know, to someone who is out in very cold weather with very light or little clothes on.
The Granny usually said it say if a man had his shirt off in the street or just in a vest. She always said dorty Dublin too (dirty) if anyone said Dublin. That must be a saying too. I haven't been over for years I know the sayings change. Like it's Mum or more of a short Moom now than Mam, or ma (and Da) of my generation.

I only found out today that the saying "Daylight robbery" originated in the 18th and 19th centuries when king William the 3rd was desperate for money so he put a tax on how many windows and doors you had got .That is why when you see old buildings with their windows and doors bricked in it was probably because they wanted to pay less tax so they would of had less daylight coming through their buildings.I found this fascinating.

I only found out today that the saying "Daylight robbery" originated in the 18th and 19th centuries when king William the 3rd was desperate for money so he put a tax on how many windows and doors you had got .That is why when you see old buildings with their windows and doors bricked in it was probably because they wanted to pay less tax so they would of had less daylight coming through their buildings.I found this fascinating.
It is true, but not all bricked up windows were a result of the window tax. Architects like symmetry and balance in their house designs, especially when following a classical style. So, there are a lot of houses built with dummy windows that have never had frames. You occasionally see some with painted glazing bars and styles in white.

One other way people tried to avoid the window tax is with the bottle window. The one below in Whitby covers four floors and counts as one window. Tax avoidance is nothing new it seems

Bottle Window.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back