• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 50s Birmingham, any woman who exhibited airs and graces could be referred to as "Lady Muck", and also as "Lady Docker" by womenfolk, my mother included. A quick check online reveals that the said lady was born in 1906 and died in 1983, so was still going strong when she was a figure of amusement. A socialite who became wealthy by marriages, she and her third husband were renowned for their extravagant lifestyle.
Here's one for JohnfromStaffs, Sir Bernard Docker had a Daimler, I think, very plush, personalised registration, often seen around the City Centre, because he was chairman of.............(help me out here) and the word basket work comes to mind when I think of the car. I met him and Lady D on a number of occasions when I was with my Dad. They flaunted wealth and bling.

Bob

Mum would say, if she thought say a hat was too much, "I would look like Lady de Font@rse in that!" I wonder if Lady D was based on a real person?. Nan went on about Lady Docker always being drunk. I remember a bit of newsreel, an elegant lady falling out of a car.! She would fit in well now wouldn't she.
I just thought of two of Nan's. "I'll love you till the cows come home" and sometimes she would cry then sniff, ah well no good sittin eer a blartin, what come art a me eyes dow coom art a me thighs!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mum would say, if she thought say a hat was too much, "I would look like Lady de? Font@rse in that!" I wonder if Lady D was based on a real person?. Nan went on about Lady Docker always being drunk. I remember a bit of newsreel, an elegant lady falling out of a car.! She would fit in well now wouldn't she.
I just thought of two of Nan's. "I'll love you till the cows come home" and sometimes she would cry then sniff, ah well no good sittin eer a blartin, what come art a me eyes dow coom art a me thighs!
Blarting, there's a word my Nan at Harborne regularly used.

Bob

Mr. or Lady Muck was used wider than the Birmingham area. I encountered its use in The Potteries. I actually heard it said in Longton by children in Grosvenor Street (probably gone but probably rebuilt with more modern housing). They pronounced their street as 'grozvenor' rather than the customary 'grove nor'.
I know here we have Machin Street. Everyone calls is Mashin Street.
And the Brown boots and no breakfast area is not so posh these days.

I just got a funny look, I get them all the time, I said I am just putting this furdybob out. A big fluffy white seed head.

I am trying to think of what we would say. It's like Giving a Donkey Strawberries comes to mind but it's not the right saying.
My partner translated one which she said of our neighbour next door who has transformed the beautiful garden in to a junk yard, "It's like giving butter to a pig". Have we got one like that.? The only one of Nan's that comes to mind is about people, "They'd spile (spoil) another couple.

How about mis-spoken ones. I heard a man say "Patience is a virgin."
You mean like Bob's your uncle and Fanny's a rude word?
One of my female bosses used to say that.
When I was made redundant, we went en masse in groups of redundancies, and we had these 'get lost' interviews, that's the polite word for what we called them.! Apparently they had to give us them. I took a leaf out of Hilda Ogden's book and said to the Boss "well the world is me lobster." She didn't know that it was a misquote.

Wouldn't mind a drop of rain, but it is still way up in the 30s despite the high winds. We get a lot of polecats, but you never see them in the day. No much in the way of birds about right now other than wood pidgeons.

Maurice :cool:

Wouldn't mind a drop of rain, but it is still way up in the 30s despite the high winds. We get a lot of polecats, but you never see them in the day. No much in the way of birds about right now other than wood pidgeons.

Maurice :cool:
its raining its poring the old man is snoring.:mad:
off thread MAURICE. lasts nights storm blew most of my electrical gismos. my laptop.and radio. you are welcome to it

A Nan saying........"We'm the same, but different.

Sang to the tell talers at school,
Tell tale tit,
Your tongue will split,
And all the little birds
Will have a little bit!
Nico, we all said that or sang that song through school! Still can hear the chant....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back