• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sayings, legends and customs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoy, Pete, the thunder is still rolling around the mountains here and the rain coming down in container loads!

Maurice :cool:

I must say Maurice I have visited Crete on many occasions and it has NEVER rained, loved the mountains though. Paul

i know one thing for sure,our Maurice, when this crisis is over,i will never go there the weather is crappier there than here.....
give you the pip..
.It derives from the poultry disease known as “the pip.” The Oxford English Dictionary and Green's Dictionary of Slang reveal having or getting the pip was used to mean feeling depressed or out of sorts starting in the 1830s, and “giving [someone] the pip,” meaning to annoy or irritate, in 1896
It gives me he willies! Where does that come from or the heeby geebies or the lurgy
?

When anyone was a bit under the weather my dad used to say "You need a foo foo pill."

I never gave it much thought until recently then looked the origins, turns out it is, or was, opium back in the distant past.

Paul,

Until last year you could guarantee that no rain fall between June & Seotember, but things they are a-changing. I never have been a beach person, even during the 40 years I lived in Bournemouth - don't care for sand or hordes of people. So I was always up in the mountains, and my son-in-law's place is 2000 feet up and his father has land on the Katherou Plateau, so they were the places to go when you'd had enough of the heat. I stopped driving just over a year ago, so don't get up there as often as I would like. At least the rain has stopped now so I no longer have the pip! :)

Paul,

Until last year you could guarantee that no rain fall between June & Seotember, but things they are a-changing. I never have been a beach person, even during the 40 years I lived in Bournemouth - don't care for sand or hordes of people. So I was always up in the mountains, and my son-in-law's place is 2000 feet up and his father has land on the Katherou Plateau, so they were the places to go when you'd had enough of the heat. I stopped driving just over a year ago, so don't get up there as often as I would like. At least the rain has stopped now so I no longer have the pip! :)

glad to hear it our Maurice.

When anyone was a bit under the weather my dad used to say "You need a foo foo pill."

I never gave it much thought until recently then looked the origins, turns out it is, or was, opium back in the distant past.
Didn't Sooty sprinkle foo foo dust?

Paul,

You've lost your falurem?
I am recalling the old Irish ballad, Maids When You're Young Never Wed An Old Man.
"He's lost his falurem he's got no dingduram aaah"
Not saying you have lost that though!

You've lost your falurem?
I am recalling the old Irish ballad, Maids When You're Young Never Wed An Old Man.
"He's lost his falurem he's got no dingduram aaah"
Not saying you have lost that though!
At school they 'made us' sing, Lilli Bolero Bullen A La, what on earth was that all about.

Lilli Bolero Bullen A La ... now thats a blast from the past. Another one we were forced to sing was "No John".

Watching a church service, from the Donegal, on the web there is a small part in Erse. There seem to far too many b, h and n's in it. I once read that the Welsh should team up with Hawaiians (Ōlelo Hawaiʻi). Wales could give Hawaii some consonants and in return Hawaii give Wales some vowels. :laughing:

Lilli Bolero Bullen A La ... now thats a blast from the past. Another one we were forced to sing was "No John".
At school the boys had to sing in a boys only class so it was dire. With tatty old song books defaced to make rude words from the originals. We all though Lillu Bulero quite daft, I still don't know what it means. Like Polly Wolly Doodle. And later The Farmer's Wife, with a rife aful ah, diddyful ah, fa l a la la la diddy fye ay?

Nan would sigh, then sing Muthurrrrr Mcree. Then carry on whatever she was doing.
Sometimes would say what a palloo and pallarver. I daresn't, as she would have said, made a racket. Nan was very strict.

Paul,

Maurice, i had a 3 week holiday in Crete & i have to say it`s the windiest place i`ve ever been. Bloody hot too.

I have heard ladies' undergarments described as folderolls, in a Val Doonican song, but I can't remember which one.

The tune to which Custers 7th Cavalry always rode to, also the march of at least one British regiment and of course more famously a tune used to introduce a programme on the radio during the war and I think BBC World service.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back