• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sayings, legends and customs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baz, I think "Bob 'owler" is more Black Country than Brum, but it still makes me grin when I hear it.

We also had a horseshoe over the back door, the open end upwards so (as my mother reckoned) the luck wouldn't fall out.

Big Gee

My mom would never have lilac in the house. Also, when I got engaged I had a pearl ring, she said pearls are for tears.

My dad used to say we were as "mad as a Bob 'Owller' when we were kids running around. (North Birmingham)

My Dad - born and brought up in the country South of Brum - used 'Bob Owler' for a large moth for as long as I can recall.

I may have posted these two on another thread but I've lost track.

Talking to me (95 year old) Mom the other day. Expressing her contempt for someone she said "She wants coal crackin' on 'er 'ead".
My late Dad was allways saying it too, usually about me, I might add.

Another of his expressions was "Her's gorra face like a bosted boot !". (One of my favourites !).

Baz, I think "Bob 'owler" is more Black Country than Brum, but it still makes me grin when I hear it.

Big Gee

You could be right mate, all the Winson Green side of the family sounded Black Country. I suspect they picked it up at their place of work.

nvz.jpeg
There was always one of these in our house when I was a nipper.

vnz.jpeg-----djl.jpeg
I had heard of this but I did not know any of these details.

vew.jpeg-----bbvv.jpeg
This is news to me, I have seen them but I did not know the reason for them.

Its not actually a book, well no, it was a book but it is now all loose pages and I have to sort them out as I go.
Glad you find it interesting Chocks.

If other members find any interest in my posts, then it is my pleasure to post them.

I've also got that little book I think, Stitch. A Reader's Digest publication, if I recall. I think there was a series of them.

Big Gee

Hello Big Gee, I do not have all the book but it is the type of thing that Readers Digest used to do.

Big Gee, that is so kind of you but I am sorting all my stuff out because I am trying to save my wife the job if something dreadful should happen to me. I don't know how else to put that. I have my computer, music, sewing and the gardening so I can easily keep myself occupied without all these papers and pictures. My son is having most of it ro study in a few years time. He is too busy at present but he does have an interest in most things, a bit like myself really. I do appreciate your generous offer Big Gee and I am sure some one else would love it if you really don't want it.

stitcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back