• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sayings, legends and customs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of a badly-made garment, my mother would say that it was "made with a red-hot needle and a burning thread".

If anyone (accidentally) broke wind, my old man would say, "More tea, Vicar?"

Big Gee

In my younger days, if you broke wind the reply would be "Fall in the officers " !

If anything ever turned out for the worst like hurting yourself or falling from a tree or anything similar my dad would always say "were was your bloody common sense"?

My mother would never allow anyone to cut their nails or have a bath on a Sunday. She said it was the Sabbath and that only the most necessary tasks should be undertaken.

How about the old custom of "first footing" on New Year's Day? In our house it had to be a dark-haired man, and he had to carry a piece of coal in his hand.

If my gran saw a moth in the house, she'd say that someone we know would soon die.......

No wonder I grew up weird....

Big Gee

If we ever dropped a sweet on the floor and started crying our Dad would say "It's allright, you've gorra eat a yard of dirt before yer die !"
I can't even GUESS the origin of that one !

Remember those big moths that got into the house and flew around the light bulb like a mad thing ?
When I was a kid that type of moth was called a "Bob owller". Nobody in this part of the world has heard of it.

Mom always put a coin on the window ledge on New Years Eve. Even when we moved in to a High Rise flat she put it on the balcony ledge.

As a child in the 2 houses i remember we had a Horseshoe above the back door.
My mom also would never have chalk ornaments in the house, she said they were unlucky.

Baz, I think "Bob 'owler" is more Black Country than Brum, but it still makes me grin when I hear it.

We also had a horseshoe over the back door, the open end upwards so (as my mother reckoned) the luck wouldn't fall out.

Big Gee

My mom would never have lilac in the house. Also, when I got engaged I had a pearl ring, she said pearls are for tears.

My dad used to say we were as "mad as a Bob 'Owller' when we were kids running around. (North Birmingham)

My Dad - born and brought up in the country South of Brum - used 'Bob Owler' for a large moth for as long as I can recall.

I may have posted these two on another thread but I've lost track.

Talking to me (95 year old) Mom the other day. Expressing her contempt for someone she said "She wants coal crackin' on 'er 'ead".
My late Dad was allways saying it too, usually about me, I might add.

Another of his expressions was "Her's gorra face like a bosted boot !". (One of my favourites !).

Baz, I think "Bob 'owler" is more Black Country than Brum, but it still makes me grin when I hear it.

Big Gee

You could be right mate, all the Winson Green side of the family sounded Black Country. I suspect they picked it up at their place of work.

nvz.jpeg
There was always one of these in our house when I was a nipper.

vnz.jpeg-----djl.jpeg
I had heard of this but I did not know any of these details.

vew.jpeg-----bbvv.jpeg
This is news to me, I have seen them but I did not know the reason for them.

Its not actually a book, well no, it was a book but it is now all loose pages and I have to sort them out as I go.
Glad you find it interesting Chocks.

If other members find any interest in my posts, then it is my pleasure to post them.

I've also got that little book I think, Stitch. A Reader's Digest publication, if I recall. I think there was a series of them.

Big Gee

Hello Big Gee, I do not have all the book but it is the type of thing that Readers Digest used to do.

Big Gee, that is so kind of you but I am sorting all my stuff out because I am trying to save my wife the job if something dreadful should happen to me. I don't know how else to put that. I have my computer, music, sewing and the gardening so I can easily keep myself occupied without all these papers and pictures. My son is having most of it ro study in a few years time. He is too busy at present but he does have an interest in most things, a bit like myself really. I do appreciate your generous offer Big Gee and I am sure some one else would love it if you really don't want it.

stitcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back