• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sayings, legends and customs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lived on a farm and used to drive the tractor.
When we were ready to go somewhere me dad would say"Right youth,give it some emp !
Tojo.

Wife was one of four sisters and their dad referred to them as "You wenches".
He'd say "Yer mom always wears a hat to go out but you wenches aint dressed properly.
Tojo.

Nan hated wearing tight clothes, she had some bloomers once in the 60s with tight legs very like the lycra shorts of today. She said 'I cor abear anythin tight, I like the wind to be blowin round the 'ouses, esoecially in me trowsiz

Nan used to get an attack of the agues too. The hot and cold shivers, my mate used to say the hotaches. Mum said the heebiejeebies but that was when she was scared.
Just thought I'd add this bit as I only found out recently.
My nan lived through (or survived) the flu epidemic of 1918, which was know then as 'the ague'. So, my nan thought I'd catch the flu if I did not do up me top button or wear me ganzee in the summer!

Brummies' conversations and accents led to some sparkling repartee:-
Ay yow,yow from Brum?
Ar thats rite, ar, Berningum.
Ar yow sound loik it an all doan cha?
Well yow doan tork proper do ya?
And other stimulating items.
Aint we good ay?
Tojo.

Thats hilarious except I had to explain it 3 times to my American husband. 32 years married and i don't think he listens to a word I say. Julie

He looks like he`s lost a pound & found a tanner.
If he had brains he would be dangerous (all politicians )
You don`t look at the mantel piece when you stoke the fire.
Found it before it was lost i bet.
Her/his face would sour vinegar.
Don`t spoil the ship for a halfpence of tar.

Nan, of a mouthy woman.......shut yer legs missis there's a draught. And mum trying to hide somewhere. Which is hard on a bus.

oooooh! Yes she said too that and worse I cannot put here. As she said of other forthright women, 'er's John Bull, 'er dow baulk 'er fancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back