• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sayings, legends and customs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smudger,

It can get a bit windy, and 2018 was very much so - it hardly stopped. Quite windy last year too. Normally in the mid-30sC in July & August, but if you happen to have a heatwave it can reach 46C near the coast. That's the time to head for them thar hills!

Maurice :cool:

Nico,

If you mean the one that goes "How much does a Grecian urn? Not very much", yes, they're very much aware of that! But to a certain extent, it is related to the cost of living. For instance, where in the UK can you rent a detached cottage for £250 a month? Fish is still expensive though, considering almost all of it is caught locally, but I think that's true in many parts of the world.

And getting back to housing, Council taxes are a small fraction of yours and electricity is about half of UK prices. No gas on the island though, only bottled stuff. Plus plenty of fresh fruit and vegatables for most of the year, but sprouts & parsnips are only imported around Christmas time.

The tune to which Custers 7th Cavalry always rode to, also the march of at least one British regiment and of course more famously a tune used to introduce a programme on the radio during the war and I think BBC World service.

Bob
I think we also sang There was an Old Woman Tossed Up in a Basket to the same tune. I think? I didn't like that song either.

Nico,

If you mean the one that goes "How much does a Grecian urn? Not very much", yes, they're very much aware of that! But to a certain extent, it is related to the cost of living. For instance, where in the UK can you rent a detached cottage for £250 a month? Fish is still expensive though, considering almost all of it is caught locally, but I think that's true in many parts of the world.

And getting back to housing, Council taxes are a small fraction of yours and electricity is about half of UK prices. No gas on the island though, only bottled stuff. Plus plenty of fresh fruit and vegatables for most of the year, but sprouts & parsnips are only imported around Christmas time.

Re the rent Maybe Lincolnshire I don't know. I would prefer Crete. You can in France though.

France used to be cheap when I first looked at buying a place there in the late 1980s, but not so now. He's since bought a place on the edge of the Pyrennean National Park that had the roof seriously damaged in early 2019 and he is still waiting for an insurance payout. I told him not to hold his breath.

France used to be cheap when I first looked at buying a place there in the late 1980s, but not so now. He's since bought a place on the edge of the Pyrennean National Park that had the roof seriously damaged in early 2019 and he is still waiting for an insurance payout. I told him not to hold his breath.

You can still get places cheap, very very cheap, with no amenities like hot water, running water, inside WC's. but they are trying to upgrade them but it the tenants are in they can't up the rents by much at a time and some are on very long term contracts, or ancient hand slap agreements.

I used to confuse Lilli Bulero with the St Patrick's Day March, used on Royal Horse Guards' Parades..

So It doesn't mean anything then. Like Goodbyee. Naah poo toodleoo. I know people imitated instruments sounds when they didn't have any instruments to play. Another part of a folk song lyrics by the Spinners, with me wing fling of an ing fling of an Ido. With me wing fling of an ing fling of an iday. With me roo boo boo, roo boo boo randy, me old la sail is something away. I will have to play it to check it.

So It doesn't mean anything then. Like Goodbyee. Naah poo toodleoo. I know people imitated instruments sounds when they didn't have any instruments to play. Another folk song lyrics by The Spinners, with me wing fling of an ing fling of an Ido. With me wing fling of an ing fling of an iday. With me roo boo boo, roo boo boo randy

So It doesn't mean anything then. Like Goodbyee. Naah poo toodleoo. I know people imitated instruments sounds when they didn't have any instruments to play. Another folk song lyrics by The Spinners, with me wing fling of an ing fling of an Ido. With me wing fling of an ing fling of an iday. With me roo boo boo, roo boo boo randy
what about this spanner then.

Who put the bomp in the bomp a bomp a bomp, who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong, .......and boogady boogady shoo. I bet that raised a few older eyebrows in it's day.

Just been in the butchers observing the 2 metres, a man came in and asked for
some mince off the bone. The butcher said it was the first time he had that in 60years of butchering. They didn't understand Nan asking for sparrack chops, beef skirtin and chawl when she came here.
A load of balony.

You don't get ote for note. Original Coventry dialect, seldom heard now.
Oh go and fiddle.
If someone was bad at singing mum would say tell him to go and play up the next street.
I'll be two shakes of a lamb's tail.
If Nan knew she got to someone she would say, I bet that rattled their tin!
I'll carry the can as usual.

I've no idea, Smudger, but something that would be ready in a minute or so would be ready in two shakes of a lamb's wotnot! I picked up this saying from people I worked with who were born in Dorset. No one could explain it, and it was just assumed that you knew what they meant!

There is many superstitions that has been around for generations whether we believe in all of them is down to ourselves .the main one I believe in and have always kept to is never walk under a ladder or it will bring you bad luck even though many a time I have put myself in danger going round a ladder walking into the road when the ladder is across the pavement !!!
I believe in time gone by women believed in them more than men.My favourite ones our mum believed in were
If your palm was itchy scratch it on top of your broom handle and you will come into money and if you have a little spider on your body let it stay as it will bring you money also another one I remember is if you dropped a silver fork or knife on the floor a stranger will come to your door.I am sure there is hundreds of them that people remember and keep too but I wonder if they will still be remembered in years to come or will they just die out ?

My nan gave me some knives she no longer used, I had to give her a few pennies because it would have meant she wished me trouble!! The same thing with a purse, always put a penny in a new purse if it's a present.
rosie.

And over here in Greece they always put a new coin under the driver's floormat in a new car. I don't know whether that spreads to other countries as I first encountered it here in Greece. Possibly in Croatia too as the lady who did it was Croatian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back