• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Savings Stamp schemes in schools

F

Frantic

Do you remember the school savings stamps? You had a card (blue I think) with squares printed inside and you had to stick your stamps into them.
Any pics anyone?

The cards I remember were for the old Birmingham Municipal Bank, when you'd saved a pound you could open a bank account.

No Pics though. Nick

Was they like this Fran, ? sixpence each and had a pic of Princess Anne on them
Never bought any as never had any money to save

I read fairly recently about how much the banks made out of this. Many kids, including my sisters and me, would put a few pence in then forget about it. In fact, I wonder how much interest there is on my 1/6d (a years savings) the Municipal/Lloyds/TSB owe me over 53 years?
badmood.gif

The stamps was sold as part of The National Savings Scheme developed during the war I'm sure there were two stamps one as shown with Princess Anne and another with Prince Charles,think Charles stamp  was blue in colour. The stamps could be exchanged in banks and post offices.

Colin

Chris, I thought the Prince Charles stamps were 2/6,but wasn't sure .Someone will remember

Colin

When I was at Hawthorn Road Juniors in 1941 - 44, I remember we were all encouraged to buy National Savings stamps once a week, and in the last few months I was often sent to buy the stamps after the money had been collected. I seem to remember I had first to go to the local florist, who took all the coppers and gave me larger denomination coins and a ten-bob note or to before I went in the post office, where they didn't like counting  a pound's worth of halfpennies (480 of them in a pound, remember!). When you had a card with 15/- worth of stamps, you went to the post office and traded it in for a certificate which was gummed in a little album.
Peter

When I was in the Infants at Burlington Street School during the war we were encouraged to buy saving stamps as described by Peter these were stuck into little books about 5 inches x 2.1/2 inches and then when full you had a 15 shillings National Savings Certifcate which was put in a little blue book with a "window" in the front which had a buff coloured card with your name and address and account number. I think it was after 5 years that you could cash them in with some interest added.

Yes, that's correct Colin B, the Prince Charles one was 2/6. Somewhere I still have one!

Wonder if it's worth putting on ebay  :2funny:

Peter.  I remember the oblong stamp book and saving each week or when I could afford it with 2/6 stamps which were larger than normal postage stamps if l remember correctly bought at the post office and wondering how wealthy l would become.  This would be around the mid 1940's.

I must have made a few thruppenny bits, tanners and a few bob since then.

I remember my oldest brother Peter having a stamp savings book when he was at school in l944. Later on my Mother opened a bank account at the Municipal Bank on the corner of Brookvale Park Road and Marsh Hill for us. The manager seem to dislike children very much and although we had been in the bank many times with my parents, when we started to go in on Saturday mornings on our own to put part of our pocket money into our accounts, it was a diffferent story. The Manager would just glare at us from the moment we went in. He would come over to the counter to check everything. It put me off banks for years after that. I hated the cheap ink they used in the bank as well.

jennyann said:
... It put me off banks for years after that. I hated the cheap ink they used in the bank as well.

I still don't like banks... the way they treat you as if they're doing you a favour taking money off you gets up my nose! Not to mention the obscene profits they make while increasing there charges. Gimme the ol' mattress any day.

The cards I remember were for the old Birmingham Municipal Bank, when you'd saved a pound you could open a bank account.

No Pics though. Nick
Hi brummie nick, This was in 1970, I think. I remember our maths teacher Mr Fred Potter used to run the the school bank during lunch time weekly and I did saved a pound and opened a bank account. I cashed it in 5 years later at the TSB. The interest was almost nil.

I remember buying the stamps at school to go on a card, or it might have been a small, thin book not sure. The stamps I remember had Prince Charles on them, brown and blue coloured stamps I think. Don’t actually remember getting the money when they were cashed in. The money might well have gone towards something practical, so wasn’t memorable for me ! Thinking about it, mine too probably went to open a bank account. Viv.

I remember buying the stamps at school to go on a card, or it might have been a small, thin book not sure. The stamps I remember had Prince Charles on them, brown and blue coloured stamps I think. Don’t actually remember getting the money when they were cashed in. The money might well have gone towards something practical, so wasn’t memorable for me ! Thinking about it, mine too probably went to open a bank account. Viv.
There was also a Princess Ann stamp. I was saving them at Alston Rd Junior School. I went on to have a Municipal Bank account later. My Mother had a saving tin? from the bank that she called her tank.It was always kept under the sideboard along with her old green handbag that contained important papers.

Last edited:
Do you remember the school savings stamps? You had a card (blue I think) with squares printed inside and you had to stick your stamps into them.
Any pics anyone?
Yes I do remember the savings stamps. I loved to fill the page up, think we had them at Ingleton Road School Ward End. Happy memories if that school.

Blimey I remember those from school ! Mum gave me money for mine, but I have no idea what happened when the books were traded in.

I worked with a lovely lady who'd previously worked for National Savings. I think there was once a specific civil service department for it. She told me it was the best job she ever had and was a wonderful place to work.

Last edited:
Back