• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sarehole Mill

They certainly do produce bread now. And it looks delicious! Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They sell the flour on the premises and at street markets too. Nice example of a product from a traditional craft. Viv

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If anyone is looking for The Big Hoot's Little Hoot, there is currently two small painted owls in one of the rooms here.

Owl for One and One for Owl - Hall Green Junior School

Billesley Base Owlet - Billesley Primary School

Not Sarehole but connected to the last post. There are several owls in Kings Heath - follow the footprints on the pavement! I thought someone was messing around until I remembered about The Big Hoots Little Hoot.

Janice

(Little Hoot's in Kings Heath) I found two on the High Street, one in Kings Heath Park and two down on Poplar Road.

RHS in Bloom judges came to Sarehole Mill yesterday morning, as well as at other floral locations around the city.

See Jas Sansi's photos on Flickr of that. Sarehole Mill - RHS judges visit

That is the mill I was looking for, I know Sarehole mill, would the mill have been part of Sarehole farm ? As there used to be a large barn on Wakefield road were I believe there's a petrol station now. I believe it bordered Brooks farm where Coleside avenue "old Wakefield road" is now, the was a building there just by the four arches bridge, would like to have more information on that, did have a photo 1932 from Hall Green archive but unable to find it again.
Memories of the Mill

Hi,

I currently work at Sarehole Mill, and am trying to find out about it's past. I would be very intrested to hear about any memories any one may have of the mill, or the last occupent, George Andrew Junior, who died in 1959 (and is also a distant relative of mine).

Stephen

Well this is Four Arches in 1905, if the building pictured is the one you mean then I think it's Brook Farm.

Hall Green four arches 1905.jpg

Memories of the Mill

Hi,

I currently work at Sarehole Mill, and am trying to find out about it's past. I would be very intrested to hear about any memories any one may have of the mill, or the last occupent, George Andrew Junior, who died in 1959 (and is also a distant relative of mine).

Stephen
George Andrew, do you know if he had the farm on Robin Hood Lane, Marion Way and had a large stone house over on the corner of Wake Green Rd. across from the mill, it just might be the same George I knew. this would have been in the late 40's early 50's. us kids in the neighbourhood would help raking straw and loading a wagon. He also built dry stone walls which I kind of helped, being a kid, but he taught me how to shape and cut stone with a hammer. I remember too we also had to start his old truck with a and crank. It does sound like the person in question , he was elderly at the time. The memory has come on occasions when asked what was my first job.

George Andrew, do you know if he had the farm on Robin Hood Lane, Marion Way and had a large stone house over on the corner of Wake Green Rd. across from the mill, it just might be the same George I knew. this would have been in the late 40's early 50's. us kids in the neighbourhood would help raking straw and loading a wagon. He also built dry stone walls which I kind of helped, being a kid, but he taught me how to shape and cut stone with a hammer. I remember too we also had to start his old truck with a and crank. It does sound like the person in question , he was elderly at the time. The memory has come on occasions when asked what was my first job.
This is actually a little way from the Mill I believe and part of my 'playground' as a Kid. It would have been at the bottom of Brook Lane before it was re-aligned.
Hi, when were you there? I grew up on Cole Side ave.in the prefabs 1940?-54. just curios.

Was a free open day today as the Bakehouse was reopened and was back in use after not being used for 150 years. Storm Dennis didn't stop people visiting the mill.

Wooden roof beams on the ceiling.

About to bake some bread.

Putting the bread into the hot oven.

Outside the Bakehouse back into the storm.

Back