• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sarehole Mill

Did Matthew Boulton also live at one time at Sarehole Mill? I think I read this somewhere but can't now find the reference. Viv

Thanks Bernie and BordesleyExile. That first search result shows Matthew Boulton's father having lived there and Matthew Boulton later leasing the Mill possibly for experimentation. One of the later search results claims MB actually lived there too. Nice that the Mill has so much history associated with it. Viv.

The Middle Earth/Tolkien weekend is on 19th & 20th May this year https://www.middleearthweekend.org.uk/

They are still advertising admission to Sarehole Mill free during the event although I've heard that may not be the case in future. The event is free as always and, as far as I know, it's the only time you can get into the Mill for free.

Great photo Stitcher. If you or any forum member gets the B'ham Mail tomorrow I'd be interested to find out about the two millers. viv.

Hello Viv, I have the mentioned pictures but failed to post them because I have not been well . I will post the in a momentfor a few days
Great photo Stitcher. If you or any forum member gets the B'ham Mail tomorrow I'd be interested to find out about the two millers. viv.

Viv, there is a little more text and another picture but someone has just called so I will post those tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting Stitcher and BordesleyExile. Makes you realise that the Mill must have been close to being lost in the 1960s but thankfully it's been turned around. Some nice Lord of the Rings background too. Viv.

I used to deliver newspapers to Sarehole Mill in the mid 1950's and can't really remember who lived there. I just remember a lean to porch with a letter box. The Mill obviously looked in a poor state.

I used to deliver newspapers to Sarehole Mill in the mid 1950's and can't really remember who lived there. I just remember a lean to porch with a letter box. The Mill obviously looked in a poor state.
Terry I have sent you an Instant Message.

Back