• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sarah Ann Green, Bordesley Green

lesg128

george 1st
Hi Everyone
Can you help me find Sarah Ann Green B1862.
In Census 1871 she is living with her family at 11 Coopers Cottage,Cherry Lane,Bordesley Green.
Father- Thomas Green B1834
Mother- Sarah Green B1836 (nee Mewis)
Brothers :-
Thomas William B1867
James John B1873
David Richard B1876
Sisters :-
Elizabeth Emily B1866
Clara Jane B1870
It is believed she married and had a son called John born about 1885.
Unfortunately I have no idea of her married name.
Hope someone can help!
lesg128

db84124

Brummophile
Purely out of interest, a first step could be to establish where Cherry Lane was. There's a Cherrywood Road in Bordesley Green and, of course, Cherry Street runs from Corporation Street up the side of Rackhams (?) to St Philip's churchyard. I have never heard of a Cherry Lane in Bordesley Green. I suppose it could have been in the Green Lane part of Small Heath/ Bordesley Green, where there were rural roads cum lanes in the 1870s.
Good luck, db84124

Last edited:

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cherrywood road was called cherrywood lane on the 1866 map, and the 1880 kellys lists cherry Lane coming off Bordesley Green at the same point. It looks like it was called variations of that name over a few years, till the final Cherrywood road was used.
Mike

db84124

Brummophile
Thanks, Mike ..... indebted yet again. I just KNEW you'd come up with the information. Could we help lesg128 in any other way? I admit that my posting was largely selfish curiosity. David

lesg128

george 1st
Hi Everyone
Have found Sarah Ann Green!! She married a John Wyatt 1882 in Aston .He died and she remarried an Arthur Simmos in 1907 at Stourbridge,They lived at Quarry Bank Brierley Hill for a number of years.
Sarah had one son John Thomas Wyatt B1855. He may have emigrated to Canada in 1912 but have no idea where.
Thanks for help db84124 and mikejee
lesg128

smtr

master brummie
Hi
This is probably them in the 1911 census living at 215 High Street, Quarry Bank, Staffordshire.
Arthur Simmons B1863 Brockmore, Staffordshire - Colliery Winding Engineer Surface - married 4 years - head
Sarah Ann Simmons B1862 Bordesley Green, Warwickshire - wife
John Thomas Wyatt B1885 Quarry Bank, Staffordshire - Tin Plate Worker Trunks Maker - step son

And possibly this is John's emigration record?
John Wyatt Born abt 1886
date of arrival - 6 Jan 1912
Ship - Empress of Ireland
Port of arrival - St John, Brunswick
Port of departure - Liverpool
Occupation - Tin Smith
Intended occupation - Same
Destination - Montreal
Religious denomination - C of E
Country of Birth - England

Suzanne

smtr

master brummie
Bit of ship info
Empress of IrelandYears in service:1906-1914Funnels:2Masts:2Shipping Line:Canadian PacificShip Description:Built by Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co., Glasgow, Scotland. Tonnage: 14,191. Dimensions: 548' x 65' (570' o.l.). Twin-screw, 19 knots. Quadruple expansion engines. Two masts and two funnels. History passengers: 310 first, 350 second, 800 third. Maiden voyage: Liverpool Quebec, June 23, 1906. Sunk in collision with the Storstad during a thick fog that prevailed on the St. Lawrence River, May 29, 1914. She went down within 15 minutes, with the loss of 1,024 lives. Rated as one of the worst disasters on the Atlantic. Sister ship: Empress of Britain.

Suzanne

lesg128

george 1st
Hi Suzanne
Thanks for info on John Thomas in particular emigration dates. Looking at these dates I see that John left England before his cousin a Emma Jane Herring (nee Green) who emigrated in May of the same year!! Emma sailed on the SS Victorian for Canada. She must have been terrified because the SS Titanic had sank in the Atlantic only weeks before with the loss of 1,517 people.Those ocean going liners were more dangerous than present day aircraft!!
I believe that John Thomas married a Sarah Emery on 17-6-1912 but what became of him then I have no idea.
Many thanks for your detailed info.
Lesg128