• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sanitorium Yardley Rd.

hi...i worked there in the 60s.the old cabins were still out in the grounds where they were quarantined ...very primitive ....my brother had t.b. when he was 17.he was sent to romsley to recover he was there for 3 months.....we were all tested and i was retested when i worked there .i remember i worked on the theatre for a short time ...bit of a difference now.lol......

My grandma has mentioned the mother and baby home, but this was Yardley towards Acocks Green near the cemetrey. She went there to have her first baby during the war. The baby caught an infection but sadly passed away. I may be wrong but I dont think they are the same as the Yardley Green Sanitotium.

Hi there to all who have contributed
I've just found an old photo taken around 1962 at Yardley Green Sanatorium with myself (right) and Noreena (left). If anyone recognises her I'd love to hear.
Regards, IvyIvy and Noreena.jpg

My second great grandfather George Mcllvine / mcilveen died in 1916 in the Sanatorium yardley road

I have a few photos of my great aunt (Dorothy "Dolly" Cooper) in the sanatorium in the early 1920's with her friends and nurses. She was there as a patient with what she used to call her TB knee. She mentions nurses Johnson and Davey on her photos.

It was between the 1924 and 1932 Kellys directories. The electoral roll does not list it in 1930, but does in 1932. Therefore it is reasonable to say between 1930 and 1932

It was between the 1924 and 1932 Kellys directories. The electoral roll does not list it in 1930, but does in 1932. Therefore it is reasonable to say between 1930 and 1932
Thanks for that. The only Yardley Road I have ever known runs from the Swan Island to Acocks Green station.

Matron Miss W Davis presented with prams for the Sanatorium in July 1953. Viv.

36254076-BD00-49AB-AEBE-C2D3E6163228.jpeg

Attachments

• A1EB48F2-DE60-4939-B33C-BBC9C782DBAB.jpeg
    A1EB48F2-DE60-4939-B33C-BBC9C782DBAB.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 11
My great grandfather John Robinson died there of TB in 1938
I was thinking about the TB hospital earlier to day. I had found the information that a relative had died of TB in 1943 aged 48 and that his death was recorded at Selly Oak hospital. I wondered why he wasn't in the isolation hospital at Yardley/Little Bromwich as his home was just off Hobmoor Rd. But it was wartime and maybe the hospital was being used in a different way. I can remember travelling upstairs on the bus along Hobmore Rd and seeing patients with beds pushed out for fresh air.

I’ve just caught up with this thread. I worked in the admissions/discharge office, facing the Children’s ward. In the main gates turning left after the porters lodge. It was my first job and being a 16 year old I couldn’t have started anywhere greater than that place. I could write reams about it I loved it. Some have asked about previous records about the patients, when I was there I discovered several volumes (beautiful italic ink writing) of admissions and discharges of people going way back. Names, address and date of birth were included - they must be stored somewhere!
Hope this helps people.

if anyone has a photo of the outside of this sanitorium we would love to see them many thanks

lyn

Back