• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sandy lane bordesley

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
this delightful photo is dated 1959...who are the children??? this is just my sort of photo..also showing a miskin and i am pretty sure that the smaller bins hanging up we used for putting the hot coal ashes in

lyn

Attachments

• Sandy Lane Bordesley - 22-12-1959.jpg
    Sandy Lane Bordesley - 22-12-1959.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Appreciate
Reactions: Two
Thanks so much for the photo Lyn - my father-in-law John Davies jnr, was born at 131 Clement Building, Sandy Lane in 1925 to his elderly parents and this is the only pic I've ever seen of Sandy Lane.

His mother Rose/Rosa Davies nee Danks 1884-1928 died in SOH (breast cancer) and his father also John Davies 1876-1930, died at 131 Sandy Lane (heart attack) resulting in my father-in-law and his two slightly older sisters being taken into care until he was old enough to earn a wage at which point his eldest sister took him back in to 131 Sandy Lane.

His parents had 3 children before WW1; Thomas J 1909 - ??, Frances Ellen (known as Nel) 1912-1992, Rose Lilian 1915-1994. John Davies snr went off for the duration of the war and had another 3 children when he returned; Louisa 1920-2007, Beatrice May 1923-2007 and our own John 1925-2001.

I have his regimental numbers - 365(9), 55179, 434666 - he lied about his age when he joined in 1890; he was 13/14 and said he was 18 - that's if his age is correct on his marriage cert!

I have included more detail than usual in this post as I am having a very difficult time tracing John Davies snr and wonder whether anyone on the forum may be able to help me. I have lots of paperwork, but no concrete proof!

I keep revisiting him as more records become available, though with John Davies as a name to research I feel it's pretty hopeless but you never know and I live in hope; perhaps he is a member's ancestor.

I have attached a pic of Rose Davies nee Danks with two of her older children Thomas J and either Frances or Rose, just for interest.

Would you mind if I take a copy of the pic Lyn for the family album?
Davies nee danks rosa with thomas and daughter c 1915.JPG
Thanks again

bewdley

Thanks for the photo Lyn - my father-in-law was born at 131 Sandy Lane in 1925 and this is the only pic I've ever seen of Sandy Lane. Do you mind if I take a copy?

bewdley

please do bewdley...its showing the back yard of sandy lane but better than nothing...i will keep my eyes open for anymore

lyn

I think those were small bathtubs lyn,baby baths and sometimes for adults to stand in for an APC wash (armpits and crotch!) pardon my French!
Cheers Tim

lol tim that made me laff and you are most likely right but i am pretty sure we used ours for the hot ashes because when we moved from our nans back to back when i was 5 the house in villa st had a bathroom with bath mind you we still had to heat up the water to put in it but at least we had a bit more privacy..

all the best

lyn

sorry bewdley i forgot to say thanks for sharing some of your family history and what a smashing photo of rose with children..

with regards to tracing john davies senior have you posted a help request on the forum

lyn

Does anyone remember the Kent family who lived @ 144 Sandy Lane? My mom was born there in 1938 - Janet. Would love to see any old photographs of the back to back houses.

Welcome Michelle. I’ve merged your query with the thread identified by Sospiri.

Viv.

Michelle,

Have you looed at the 1939 Register and was your mother's maiden name Seeney?

Maurice :cool:

Back