• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sandpits old persons home

Bill123

master brummie
Does anyone remember an old peoples home (men only I think) near the Sandpits/Summerhill?
I vaguely remember an old man that used to ride a full size three-wheeler bike and he wore a collarless jacket before the Beatles. I used to see him anywhere between Springhill and "Town". If it was a men only home, was it anything to do with the services?

Hi Bill123

It might have been The Summer Hill Home For Aged Men at 18 Summer Hill Terrace. I remember it well. I think that there was some trouble some time back over the mistreatment of residents.

Phil

I posted on this thread "Workhouse Dudley RD & Summerhill" type it into search for a lot of relevent info. Len.

A man from our road was put in there in the late 7os or early 80s. He was elderly and lived alone. I dont know much about him but his feet were always on the go, a bit like a tap dancer. I believe he died there after awhile.

hi phil and stich
yes there was big trouble there some years ago the superinten
of the old fellows home murdered a gentleman and abused a couple of more old fellows with violents he was charge and sent to prison for the murder
of mr hands whom was from lady wood
when i was a kid i used to play cow boys and indians on those sand pitts
when we came out of thr lyric picture hose sat morning mattee
and later on in life i remember them building a lovely big shelter
on the sand pitts for the old fellowers
best wishes astonian ;;

i have just discovered that an ancestor of mine may have been in this home in 1939
his name was joseph/joshua doody.
i have a record and a list of fellow "inmates" if anyone is looking for a relative from around this time.
also if anyone knows where i can gather more info it would be much appriciated.

Back