• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sandfields Waterworks Pumping Engine

I am not now involved with this site and stepped down as chairman in October 2021. I managed to negotiate the owners giving the building to a charitable trust that I set up for £1.00 and that the owners would also give the trust a lump sum of £400,000. The aim was to invest the lump sum via a charity investment fund manager that would adequately fund the trust to keep the building in perpetuity.

My views on volunteer management, financial management and the preservation of historical heritage objects and sites were at odds with some of the other trustees.
Excellent work Mort, the right thing for the right reasons! Very well done!

Just caught back up to this thread. A week or so ago I watched a business news television station where some very serious investors were discussing potential investment opportunities in the 5 to 7 year range. They mostly agreed, some more than others that water supply and associated equipment will be in great demand, this even that some populations are flat to negative the importance of water will be very strong. A little bit of a sleeper I thought, AI and all that stuff were on the list but water was the odd item out and high on the list.
You are indeed spot on there Richard. The heritage of the modern water industry is almost entirely absent, despite its unarguable relevance to human development. The provision of clean water added twenty years to the average life expectancy and also enabled the development of the large cities with big populations and improving the quality of life for millions of people.

I also very much believe that young people should get involved with STEAM projects (science, technology, engineering, arts, and Maths) These industrial sites should be engaging the wide community and should not be playgrounds for bord retired self-indulgent individuals.

The problems we face today are global, so we need good minds to work collaboratively to bring solutions.

You are indeed spot on there Richard. The heritage of the modern water industry is almost entirely absent, despite its unarguable relevance to human development. The provision of clean water added twenty years to the average life expectancy and also enabled the development of the large cities with big populations and improving the quality of life for millions of people.

I also very much believe that young people should get involved with STEAM projects (science, technology, engineering, arts, and Maths) These industrial sites should be engaging the wide community and should not be playgrounds for bord retired self-indulgent individuals.

The problems we face today are global, so we need good minds to work collaboratively to bring solutions.
We are in violent agreement. I recently did some analysis for a company based in Nashville on a renewable energy project for biodiesel from plants, one of the byproducts is water, potable water. I was a little reluctant at first but agreed to meet with the Chairman for an hour. The meeting lasted 2 1/2 hours. That was on Tuesday, on Thursday I was offered a board position which I accepted (surprised myself). It is non waste technology, with sites in the US, Viet Nam, India and are talking to a partner in the UK. This is all pro bono; we can solve a lot of environmental and supply problems. So far, the Board members I have engaged with do not appear self-indulgent, thank goodness!
Sorry to get off topic.

Back