• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sandbag defences in WW2

Sandbags is a generic name; they were filled with sand if available nearby, other than that with soil.(as shown in Post 1). The soil from trenches was used to fill sandbags for instance. Some of the more permanent pill boxes and similar fortifications were filled with concrete and have lasted, in situ, a very long time.

Sandbags on the forum ... :)
The 'Blitz' had not started when at least two of these photos were taken, so I've put them here.
Margaret St in the months before WW2 a fairly cheerful looking crowd filling sandbags and placing them untidily against the walls of the Education office.
margaret1_28Medium29.jpg

Still Margaret St in the opposite direction. The trams had to squeeze past the busy scene. Would those sandbags protect the building?
margaret2_28Medium29.jpg

Perhaps a little later the sandbags look more uniform in size and placement, but what about the upper windows? Note the 'Keep Left' bollards had light shields fitted.
Townhallsandbags_28Medium29.jpg

Interesting photos. The Dudley Road trams were replaced by buses (except for the 32 Lodge Road route), on 1st. October, 1939. It does seem that a lot of preparations for war were made some months before the declaration in September, 1939.
My father, for instance, was in uniform much earlier than September.

Last edited:
Shop assistants and medical students all lending a hand with sandbagging in 1939.

Viv.

138EBE4C-B1C0-4D4C-BB9A-921E0BF5B8F8.jpegSource: British Newspaper Archive

Back