• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Samuel William Edwards, The Wheatsheaf, Suffolk Street

G

gham

Please could you look up in Kellys 1933 and 5 or 6 years after if possible, Samuel William Edwards licensee 'Wheatsheaf', Suffolk Street. He and his wife, Florence, were landlord and -lady there before moving to 'Waggon & Horses', Moseley Road

I'm afraid you may be disappointed by the following entries in the Kelly's directories:.

Kelly's 1921: 43 Suffolk St (corner Severn Street) - Wheatsheaf P.H:William Auger.
Kelly's 1933: 43 Suffolk St (corner Severn Street) - Wheatsheaf P.H:Mrs Phoebe Ellen Crockett.
Kelly's 1937: 43 Suffolk St (corner Severn Street) - Wheatsheaf P.H:Mrs Phoebe Ellen Crockett.
Kelly's 1939: 43 Suffolk St (corner Severn Street) - Wheatsheaf P.H: Frederick William Truslove.
Kelly's 1940: 43 Suffolk St (corner Severn Street) - Wheatsheaf P.H: Daniel Ernest Arnett

Peter

gham

Kelly's 1937 shows your relations as being at the Waggon & Horses on Moseley Rd Balsall Heath.

here is Haden st
397 Yoxall F. & A. outfitters
413 Waggon & Horses P.H.
Saml. Wm. Edwards

here is BalsallHeath rd

415 Goldstein R. & A. costumiers
417 Southerton. Alan E.
chemist
419 Dale Mrs. Mary, florist
421 Strong Geo. confctnr
423 Newton Henry, boot repr
425 Murray's Fruit Stores
here is Vincent st

Phil.

Attachments

• City Wheatsheaf Suffolk St.jpg
    City Wheatsheaf Suffolk St.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Balsall Heath Wagon and Horses Moseley Rd.jpg
    Balsall Heath Wagon and Horses Moseley Rd.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 4
Thanks to Peter and Phil for valuable information about The Wheatsheaf, Suffolk Street (and Waggon & Horses, Moseley Rd). Very struck by the rural names of these pubs amongst other things. I see 'The Wheatsheaf' closed in 1960.:)

Back