• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Samuel Garbett

Heartland

master brummie
From a canal perspective Samuel Garbett has not had the best press, Broadbridge almost dismisses his contribution in his single volume on Birmingham Canals. Jean Lindsay in her book on the Trent & Mersey indicates Garbett had an early interest in promoting the canal that linked the Mersey and the Trent with the Gilbert family, but a different proposal by Wedgwood eventually won the day and went forward.
Samuel Garbett in reality remained committed to waterway development. He a thorn in the side of Birmingham Canal Chairman, when that canal had its route changed and lengthened. Garbett favored a more direct line. He also was a keen supporter of the Birmingham & Fazeley Canal.
As a businessman he was a successful London Merchant. He was involved with the promotion of the Carron Ironworks in Scotland as well as Sulphuric Acid making there with his partner Priestley. The Carron venture eventually caused a lengthy litigation for debt that was to affect at least three generations of the Garbett family and often deflected Garbett from his canal interests. He did eventually set up an acid making works in Birmingham, which was continued after his death in 1803. Sulpuric acid was used as part of the refining process for precious metals and also was used to
clean others such as steel. Birmingham came to have several acid makers within the town.

I presume Garbett street in Ladywood was named after him? My ancestors lived there.
rosie.

And I've a paternal great grandmother, Susannah Garbett, but she was born in Herefordshire and never made it to Brum.

Maurice

Hi Rosie
I Remember old Garbet street ladywood played in the street up there it was around the corner to our house
i used to know alot of the familys up there i lived around the corner to it as it ran at the bottom of king edwards road
thats where i was brought up 243 kingedwards road in the fiftys
Merry christmas rosie and a happy new and healthy and prosperous new year for 2017
Alan,,,, Astonian ,,,,,,,

Hi Alan,
A lot of my family came from that small area of Ladywood, Alexandra St. was one of the others you mentioned, but it was a long time ago.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Best Wishes,
rosie.

John Walsham Garbett was his sole executor of death, his grandson. In December 1803 J W Garbett disposed of the chemical works and refinery in Steelhouse Lane to James Alston and James Armitage. They added another works in Coleshill Street. The partnership was dissolved officially in April 1814 leaving James Alston & Son to continue the former Garbett business, whilst James Armitage established a new chemical works beside the Digbeth Branch near Aston Junction with a frontage to Dartmouth Street and Love Lane.

Back