• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Samuel Clarke baptism 1706/1707

clarkie

Exiled Brummie
Since the parish records on Ancestry came on line I have nearly completed research on my Clarke ancestors, however there is one piece of crucial information to answer.

Samuel Clarke married Mary Hollihauk at St Martin in 1703, their daughter Mary was baptised there in 1704. So did Sam & Mary have a son Samuel?

The problem is that the records on Ancestry during 1706/1707 are generally illegible. The Bishops transcripts on Ancestry do not start until 1708 they are very clear but no Sam who I would expect to have been born no later than 1710.

Does anyone know if there were earlier Bishops Transcripts or perhaps clear copy records for 1706/7?

Regards

Clarkie

I've had a look at St. Martin on my disc but for those years it is so faint I can't read it. On the Index there are no Clarkes between 1703 and 1719, and no Clarks between 1699 and 1709, presumably because they couldn't read them either. It's so annoying to have the Register and not be able to see it, but after all it's 300 years ago!!
I'm sorry I couldn't help.
rosie.

Hi Rosie,
Thanks for checking that.
I have found quite a few on the St Martin's records on Ancestry, apart from Samuels daughter in 1704, his older brother William had quite a number of children baptised in the 1690/1705 & his cousin Richard likewise from 1701 - 1714, they are all reasonably legible on the parish records.

It just seems to be 1706 & 1707 that has not survived too well. I also think Samuel seniors wife Mary died within that period and there are no burials on Ancestry for St Martins from 1704 to 1708.

Regards

Clarkie

Back