• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Samson Road B.C.T. Tram/Trolley/Store Paint Shed

horsencart

master brummie
Does anyone have a decent map showing where the Samson Road B.C.T. Tram/Trolley/Store Paint Shed was I hope to go there soon and at this moment in time I am not certain if any of the Samson Road B.C.T. Tram/Trolley/Store Paint Shed is still extant ? I think that part of it still exists, but I need to see a map, the P W Lawson book appears to show it was a big storage area, but as I say I need a map many thanks

Hi horsencart.

I'm not a tram/bus person but I did live local at one time that's if we are talking about Sampson Rd Sparkbrook. the only tram depot I ever know of was off Sampson rd and it was in Kyotts Lake Rd. Part of that depot is still standing today, but I never heard of anything to do with trams down Sampson Rd nor can I remember any tram line, but there again I could be wrong.

Map from Birmingham Corporation Tramways book does show a Sampson Road Paint Shop but not exact position.

Colin

Attachments

• Sampson Road.jpg
    Sampson Road.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 33
Samson Road was not a Garage or Depot in the normal sense of the word it was only used for about 20? or so years and for a time was used as a storage area trams and or trolley buses they were stored because of the General Curtailment of all services, from 16 Sept 1939, (they were worried the enemy would see the sparks from the tram wires, part of the area was a paint shop/ P W Yard, it was very near to Kyotts Lake Rd. but was not a part of it, Samson Road was used up to 1948 when the lease ran out

Hi horsencart.

I'm not a tram/bus person but I did live local at one time that's if we are talking about Sampson Rd Sparkbrook. the only tram depot I ever know of was off Sampson rd and it was in Kyotts Lake Rd. Part of that depot is still standing today, but I never heard of anything to do with trams down Sampson Rd nor can I remember any tram line, but there again I could be wrong.

All already have this map it is in the P W Lawson Book what I need is a map with more details, I think that part of the place still exists

Map from Birmingham Corporation Tramways book does show a Sampson Road Paint Shop but not exact position.

Colin

As I say I was only talking from memory, but this 1938 map does show a depot in Henley St that edges onto Sampson Rd that might be the place you are looking for, but the map shows no tram lines approaching it as does the one in Kyotts Lake and the depot looks much smaller. I've looked on Google maps and all that is left is some of the perimeter walls.

Attachments

• Henley St.JPG
    Henley St.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 27
What makes me think that a part of the former store still in exists is that there is a shot taken from the inside of the former store with a view of the roof and it looks like the roof of the present building, so my theory is that most of the former store/paint shop/ has now gone leaving a small section left, either way over the last few years the Midland and here I include Midland Red, B.C.T. we have lost a number of building that relate to transport history, (gone gone and never called me Mother) sorry,

I know Samson Road is an also ran of the transport scene a question mark in history, it did have a phone number, in Oct 1932 it was
Sampson Road Wharf VICtoria 1531,
Kyotts lake Rd was (car repairWorks VICtoria 1462,
Barford St was MIDland 1388 or 4389,
Tennant St was MIDland 2371 or 2372,
Rednal Tram Terminus was Rubery 56,
West Smethwick was BROadwell 1003,

The Heeley Road depot was on Sampson Road wharf, and it is possible that the tracks still exist under the concrete. The premises were canal owned. Grand Union Canal records indicate there was a sand store here.

Back