• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

salvation army

Where did that go ?No

Hi Oldun, I went to Sunday school with the Salvation Army. It was based the top of James Watt Street, just around the corner from Corporation Street.. I was encouraged to attend by our neighbours in Gopsal Street, the Leake family. They all attended the Salvation Army. I think Mr Leake played the trumpet. Mrs Leakes mother, Mrs Wood was also part of the Salvation Army. She lived in Penn Street. It was lovely to hear the music and listen to them singing, when they came round our streets. Happy memories. Kind regards, Sue

Thanks for that photo Vivienne, brings back a lot of memories. I was in the S.A at Hockley and we used to go to the Citadel on a Thursday evening for the 'Holiness Meetings'. Also my niece was married there. I have also watched the video mentioned is post 46 and saw the name Geoff Platt. The name rings a bell and thought maybe he was at Hockley the same time as me. Would love to have contact with him but not a clue where to start

Thanks for that photo Vivienne, brings back a lot of memories. I was in the S.A at Hockley and we used to go to the Citadel on a Thursday evening for the 'Holiness Meetings'. Also my niece was married there. I have also watched the video mentioned is post 46 and saw the name Geoff Platt. The name rings a bell and thought maybe he was at Hockley the same time as me. Would love to have contact with him but not a clue where to start
Hi there.You mention Geoff Platt Unfortunately he is no longer with us.He did a lot of charity work for the Army up in Newcastle and was awarded an honour by the late Queen.I attended Hockley SA from 1961 and was taught how to play the cornet by Christine Platt Geoffs sister.The Farmer family were a big influence at Hockley and tommorrow Friday17th March 2023 I am going to Birmingham citadel for the funeral of Graham Farmer who would be in his 80's

Back