• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

salvation army

Astoness:

Yes, George & Hannah MacDonald with son Henry 5, Alice 4, Caroline 2, Georgiana 10 months + a Sarah Garrett 20.

maurice that makes 7 children.....it must be the same family... i will try and find out some more....

thank you again...

:)

Astoness:

I've just had a quick scoot through all the George Browns on that same 1841 Census, but none have daughters with the same names or are really of the same age as George MacDonald. :( Either too young or 20 years older.

Regards,

Maurice

maurice ive just googled for the year rudyard kiplings mother was born....come back as 1837...that would make her 4 on the 1841 census..and that is what you have found....as you prob know kipling born 1865 bombay india.....i really wish i could put them at nursery road...im 99 percent sure they were there...but can see no way of proving it as yet...for now i think i will go along with a misprint on the name...ones thing is for sure they did come from birmingham and vittoria st and nursery road is only about a 15 mins walk apart.

:)

Found this Macdonald family on the 1851 census.

George B. MACDONALD Head M 45 M Wesleyan Minister Stockport-Cheshire
Hannah MACDONALD Wife M 42 F Ministers Wife Manchester-Lancashire
Henry I. MACDONALD Son U 15 M Scholar Manchester-Lancashire
Alice MACDONALD Daur - 13 F Scholar At Home Sheffield-Yorkshire
Caroline MACDONALD Daur - 12 F Scholar At Home Birm.-Warwickshire
Georgia MACDONALD Daur - 10 F Scholar At Home Birm.-Warwickshire
Fredr. MACDONALD Son - 9 M Scholar Leeds-Yorkshire
Agnes MACDONALD Daur - 7 F Scholar At Home Leeds-Yorkshire
Louisa MACDONALD Daur - 5 F Ministers Dau Wakefield-Yorkshire
Edith MACDONALD Daur - 2 F Ministers Dau Huddersfield-Yorkshire
Ann ARMITAGE Serv U 20 F Housemaid Huddersfield-Yorkshire
Ann MILNER Serv U 16 F Cook Hudderfield-Yorkshire
Address: Nursery Terrace, Erdington
Census Place: Aston Erdington, Warwickshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/2062 Folio: 197 Page: 18 FHL Film: 0087320

Well, that's certainly the correct MacDonald family. But is it the same Nursery Terrace I wonder? :)

I'm sure Astoness will be pleased with that one!

Maurice

The sisters were married as follows:
Georgiana Macdonald to Edward Coley Burne Jones (NOT a double barrelled name to him, his son adopted that): 2nd quarter 1860 Manchester vol 8d page 388.
Alice Macdonald to John Lockwood Kipling: 1st quarter 1865 Kensington vol 1a page 116.
Agnes Macdonald to Edward Poynton: 3rd quarter 1866 Wolverhampton vol 6b page 612.
Louise Macdonald to Alfred Baldwin: 3rd quarter 1866 Wolverhampton vol 6b page 613.

Agnes and Louise must have married close together, possibly even on the same day, and at the same church? Anyone know?

Found this Macdonald family on the 1851 census.

George B. MACDONALD Head M 45 M Wesleyan Minister Stockport-Cheshire
Hannah MACDONALD Wife M 42 F Ministers Wife Manchester-Lancashire
Henry I. MACDONALD Son U 15 M Scholar Manchester-Lancashire
Alice MACDONALD Daur - 13 F Scholar At Home Sheffield-Yorkshire
Caroline MACDONALD Daur - 12 F Scholar At Home Birm.-Warwickshire
Georgia MACDONALD Daur - 10 F Scholar At Home Birm.-Warwickshire
Fredr. MACDONALD Son - 9 M Scholar Leeds-Yorkshire
Agnes MACDONALD Daur - 7 F Scholar At Home Leeds-Yorkshire
Louisa MACDONALD Daur - 5 F Ministers Dau Wakefield-Yorkshire
Edith MACDONALD Daur - 2 F Ministers Dau Huddersfield-Yorkshire
Ann ARMITAGE Serv U 20 F Housemaid Huddersfield-Yorkshire
Ann MILNER Serv U 16 F Cook Hudderfield-Yorkshire
Address: Nursery Terrace, Erdington
Census Place: Aston Erdington, Warwickshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/2062 Folio: 197 Page: 18 FHL Film: 0087320

That's an awfully large family, with servants, for that little house in the original photograph! (see post #25)

Lloyd...so that throws my theory right out of the window...the nursery terrace i know of was opposite the salvation army pic in post 25 so i need not post that pic now.....can everyone please disreguard the information in that post as it is most misleading....as Lloyd has very kindly found out the mc donald family lived at nursery terrace ERDINGTON...

thanks a lot Lloyd for your help on this one and also thanks to maurice..

sorted..

lyn:)

Re: hockley Salvation Army
Only just come across this and your reference to the Farmers at Hockley . I knew them in 1957/1958 whilst a soldier there. I left to go into the training college in August 1958, and would love to hear of any of them. My memory is not too good about it all though.

Neville Johnson

Hi Neville,

This is an oldish thread and sadly most of the FARMERs have passed away, with the exception of Graham (Jim & Nellie's son). When I last heard, he was still living in Cannock. I knew Nellie from when she was the tea lady at Lucas (Great King Street), before I married into the family in 1962. Bandmaster Cecil FARMER died way back in 1969, but at least one of his children is alive & living in the Dewsbury area of Yorkshire. I've been living in Crete since 2005 so I don't get to hear much these days.

Maurice

ASTON_SONGSTERS5B25D.JPG
displayimage.php
I may have posted this before ? THE ASTON SONGSTERS , 1st &; 2nd from the left 2nd row My Aunt Edith Lamb & My Mom Doris Jenney. 4th from the left My Aunt Hilda Matthews.

Last edited:
Hi Topsy,

I've only just picked up on your post #51. My late father-in-law, Sidney Dorman, is on the right of the last photograph shown wearing glasses and playing tenor horn. And here, courtesy of SAWiki, are the Nursery Road premises today, now used as a charity shop.

Maurice

Birmingham_Hockley_Salvation_Army.jpg

OLD END SNOW 22.1.13 014.JPGhi maurice...here is the sally army taken in january..back to a place of worship and looking a lot tidier..tree that we used to climb as kids still there to the left..

lyn

Last edited:
Hello Lyn,

So the S.A. have sold it. With a name like that I would expect a cowboy to come galloping by, but at least it's better than another mosque! Thanks for posting that Lyn.

Maurice

Haven,t been down that way for a while but it is nice to see it tidied up as in Lyns photo. As kids we looked forward to the Salvation Army playing on Sunday in our Street. They always stood around the lampost a litte way down from where we lived .

i agree with your sentiments maurice...

hi topsy i have fond memories of going to that sally army every sunday afternoon..one of the days if i see it open i may take a peep inside to see how it has been changed...

lyn

Back