• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

salvation army

P

parker

can anyone help my great gran lived in canal street, cromwell street and later gladston street all in aston she was active in the salvation army and i was wondering if anyone would know where they would have been based or if anyone has any photos of the salvation army aroung the 1911 to 1934 period
thank you :)

Hi , parker, The only salvation army meeting place I recall in ASTON was the one at the bottom of Victoria Road. My Mom & Dad & Most of My Aunts & Uncles were members at one time or another.
They used to have open air meeting at the bottom of Tower Road by Park Road Aston Cross.
Did any one in your Family know of  the late Jack (John) Lamb or Edith Lamb (Nee Wooley) As these are two of the oldest members of My Family that I know of to be Members of THE ARMY at Aston.
I have other names if these do not ring any bells, Jack & Edith's eldest son is still alive in his 80s now but he at one time was band leader at Victoria Road. (long after your Great Gran's Time though).
I will try to find out if My cousin has any Pictures of that time,will post if any found.
REGARDS ASTON

we used to have a Mrs Lamb call to our next door neighbour in Parliament street she was involved with the Salvation army the lady she visited was Mrs Moore this Mrs Lamb gave us a lot of books (religious), would it have been Edith Lamb?

Sorry John I have no Way of telling as all My family of that time have now passed on. But I can say that My uncle & aunt were very much involved all of there lives with the Salvation Army in Birmingham.
I do not think there can be to many EDITH LAMB'S about in Birmingham that were Salvationists so it a good Chance it was My Aunt.
I do not know were they lived in the first years of there marrage but when I was born they lived in UPPER THOMAS STREET.
On your site (I do not remember were) you have a picture of a shop in Upper Thomas Street in winter with snow on the ground, My aunt Edith ran that shop for a number of years.
ASTON

aston thanks for all of your help
hhave looked at tower road and park road on google maps but would love to see it as the road layout would have been as my brother knows the area better that way. would you have a 1945 map of aston cross including tower road and park
thank you in advance

parker I have posted this area map on one or two topics & I know Rod has posted a map which shows the indvidual houses in Tower Rd, & the ASTON CROSS area.
So have a LOOK at some of the topics about that area & you may be I say may be find what you are seeking.
If all fails come back & I will try to HELP.
ASTON

parker, have you looked at the Victoria Rd Topic, I have posted some pics of my family who had connections with the aston salvation army.

Parker you never did give us your Gt Grans Name? although I think it may have been before my Cousins time as an Army menber if you can give me it I will ask when we next see each other (as I have said he is in his 80s so memory may not be as good as it could be ).
ASTON

And from Showell's Dictionary of Birmingham, I just found the following:-

"_Salvation Army_.--The invasion of Birmingham by the soldiers of the
Salvation Army was accomplished in the autumn of 1882, the General (Mr.
Booth) putting in an appearance March 18, 1883. They have several
rendezvous in the town, one of the principal being in Farm Street, from
whence the "soldiers" frequently sally out, with drums beating and
colours flying, much to their own glorification and other people's
annoyance."

My late wife's ancestors, the FARMERs, were founder members of the Hockley Branch and at least one descendant still attends Birmingham Citadel to this day.

Maurice.

heres a pic of the salvation army nursery road between villa street and church st..in the middle of the last century no 5 nursery terrace as it was known then was for 3 years the home of the rev geoge brown and his family.his daughters all acheived remarkable married status in that.

louisa was the mother of stanley baldwin..the prime minister.
alice was the mother of rudyard kipling.
georgina married the painter sir edward burne jones.
the fourth daughter married sir edward poynter..first slade professor of fine arts at university college london...

i am just trying to place the salvation army that was in farm st as i can only remember friends hall......

astoness

Hi Astoness, thanks for the post!

Somewhere packed away I have a picture of the Farm Street premises with more pictures of the FARMER clan and their insruments, some dating from the 19th century. It's just a matter of locating which box they are in.

Wow, George Brown's daughters did do well! Talk about name-dropping! :D

Maurice

lol maurice...didnt they do well??..to think i have trodden the same streets as they did..and dad used to clean the windows of their house...i was born in paddington st and spent most of my childhood in villa st so any pics of farm st that you may have i would be happy to see....

astoness:)

And Judith Flanders looks more like Ava Gardner!! :D

But interesting stuff all the same.

Maurice

hi Lloyd... you are quite right..so where does the name brown come from.. as you can see i have quoted from a book...either the name brown in my quote is a bad misprint or they have made a very bad mistake... the only thing i can think of doing is trying to find out for sure that this family lived at no 5 nursery terrace... any ideas......

astoness:)

maurice.. ive found out that alices father was a methodist mininster.. in my quote it say he was a reverend..so that sort of ties in... this is really strange...

astoness

Astoness:

I don't have access to the 1851 Census, but in 1861 No. 5 was occupied by the families of WISE & BEARD, in 1871 by the FIDDIAN family, and in 1891 by the BOWDEN family. Of course, an occupation of just three years could miss the census altogether. :(

Maurice

yes maurice i agree...thanks everso for that info....this could be a toughie.. the plot thickens...:rolleyes:

Astoness:

In 1841 the McDonald family is living in Vittoria Street. He's a Wesleyan Minister and daughters Alice & Georgiana are there

Maurice

wicked maurice.. so we have them in the middle of the jewellery quarter....its looking like a misprint on my info...for they were definately mc donalds....just trying to think of anything else to tie them down.....

Astoness:

Yes, George & Hannah MacDonald with son Henry 5, Alice 4, Caroline 2, Georgiana 10 months + a Sarah Garrett 20.

maurice that makes 7 children.....it must be the same family... i will try and find out some more....

thank you again...

:)

Astoness:

I've just had a quick scoot through all the George Browns on that same 1841 Census, but none have daughters with the same names or are really of the same age as George MacDonald. :( Either too young or 20 years older.

Regards,

Maurice

maurice ive just googled for the year rudyard kiplings mother was born....come back as 1837...that would make her 4 on the 1841 census..and that is what you have found....as you prob know kipling born 1865 bombay india.....i really wish i could put them at nursery road...im 99 percent sure they were there...but can see no way of proving it as yet...for now i think i will go along with a misprint on the name...ones thing is for sure they did come from birmingham and vittoria st and nursery road is only about a 15 mins walk apart.

:)

Found this Macdonald family on the 1851 census.

George B. MACDONALD Head M 45 M Wesleyan Minister Stockport-Cheshire
Hannah MACDONALD Wife M 42 F Ministers Wife Manchester-Lancashire
Henry I. MACDONALD Son U 15 M Scholar Manchester-Lancashire
Alice MACDONALD Daur - 13 F Scholar At Home Sheffield-Yorkshire
Caroline MACDONALD Daur - 12 F Scholar At Home Birm.-Warwickshire
Georgia MACDONALD Daur - 10 F Scholar At Home Birm.-Warwickshire
Fredr. MACDONALD Son - 9 M Scholar Leeds-Yorkshire
Agnes MACDONALD Daur - 7 F Scholar At Home Leeds-Yorkshire
Louisa MACDONALD Daur - 5 F Ministers Dau Wakefield-Yorkshire
Edith MACDONALD Daur - 2 F Ministers Dau Huddersfield-Yorkshire
Ann ARMITAGE Serv U 20 F Housemaid Huddersfield-Yorkshire
Ann MILNER Serv U 16 F Cook Hudderfield-Yorkshire
Address: Nursery Terrace, Erdington
Census Place: Aston Erdington, Warwickshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/2062 Folio: 197 Page: 18 FHL Film: 0087320

Well, that's certainly the correct MacDonald family. But is it the same Nursery Terrace I wonder? :)

I'm sure Astoness will be pleased with that one!

Maurice

The sisters were married as follows:
Georgiana Macdonald to Edward Coley Burne Jones (NOT a double barrelled name to him, his son adopted that): 2nd quarter 1860 Manchester vol 8d page 388.
Alice Macdonald to John Lockwood Kipling: 1st quarter 1865 Kensington vol 1a page 116.
Agnes Macdonald to Edward Poynton: 3rd quarter 1866 Wolverhampton vol 6b page 612.
Louise Macdonald to Alfred Baldwin: 3rd quarter 1866 Wolverhampton vol 6b page 613.

Agnes and Louise must have married close together, possibly even on the same day, and at the same church? Anyone know?

Found this Macdonald family on the 1851 census.

George B. MACDONALD Head M 45 M Wesleyan Minister Stockport-Cheshire
Hannah MACDONALD Wife M 42 F Ministers Wife Manchester-Lancashire
Henry I. MACDONALD Son U 15 M Scholar Manchester-Lancashire
Alice MACDONALD Daur - 13 F Scholar At Home Sheffield-Yorkshire
Caroline MACDONALD Daur - 12 F Scholar At Home Birm.-Warwickshire
Georgia MACDONALD Daur - 10 F Scholar At Home Birm.-Warwickshire
Fredr. MACDONALD Son - 9 M Scholar Leeds-Yorkshire
Agnes MACDONALD Daur - 7 F Scholar At Home Leeds-Yorkshire
Louisa MACDONALD Daur - 5 F Ministers Dau Wakefield-Yorkshire
Edith MACDONALD Daur - 2 F Ministers Dau Huddersfield-Yorkshire
Ann ARMITAGE Serv U 20 F Housemaid Huddersfield-Yorkshire
Ann MILNER Serv U 16 F Cook Hudderfield-Yorkshire
Address: Nursery Terrace, Erdington
Census Place: Aston Erdington, Warwickshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/2062 Folio: 197 Page: 18 FHL Film: 0087320

That's an awfully large family, with servants, for that little house in the original photograph! (see post #25)

Lloyd...so that throws my theory right out of the window...the nursery terrace i know of was opposite the salvation army pic in post 25 so i need not post that pic now.....can everyone please disreguard the information in that post as it is most misleading....as Lloyd has very kindly found out the mc donald family lived at nursery terrace ERDINGTON...

thanks a lot Lloyd for your help on this one and also thanks to maurice..

sorted..

lyn:)

Back