• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Saltley Secondary School

Not me Lyn. But Saltley was another of my old stomping grounds, so I popped in for a gander.

This schools name has thrown me the name is not familiar, where was it located? I think it may have had another name. Dek

hi bazz and dek...i did search the forum before posting but could not find any ref to this school so it could have changed names..reason i am asking is because i have come accross a lovely postcard album and on the front it says saltley sec school birmingham..inside are 8 or 9 very old postcards..each one depicting different classrooms of the school..and one of them shows the quadrangle.its got me curious now as to just how old the postcards are as no one seems to remember this school and ive no idea where it was located...

lyn

Last edited:
Saltley College has a quadrangle Lyn, the original building is still there it's now a housing complex. It is on college road Saltley. There is also Saltley Grammar School on Belchers Lane.

hi macca thanks for that info..hopefully someone who went to the school may see this thread...

lyn

Before Saltley Grammar on Belchers lane was a grammar school it was Saltley secondary school.
It had a quadangle which was destroyed when it was hit by a bomb in WW11.

brillient alberta...now at least i know that the postcard book i have pre dates the war...when i have time i will scan and post but i doubt very much if anyone on the forum went to saltley sec school...

thanks again..

lyn

Hi Lyn,
I went to Saltley Grammar, Belchers Lane, 1959-65. It had two quadrangles then with the hall in between. I remember that only teachers and prefects were allowed to cross them. From streetview the school is still there and has now become Saltley School - https://www.saltley.bham.sch.uk
Saltley College was a teachers training college.
Cheers,
Stan

hi stan and thanks for your input...i will scan the post cards as soon as i have the time...

lyn

My sister in law who was then Margaret Partridge went to Saltley Grammar in the 50's. Next time we meet I will ask if she has any photo's.

hi folks i have now scanned the photos and the front of the album...on the back of the postcards it says they were taken and printed by marshall keene and co of hove sussex..the pics are of the quadrangle..the hall and various classrooms..

Last edited:
Fantastic photo's Lyn I will let my sister in law know they are here. Thanks for posting them! x

its a pleasure wend....the quality is quite good considering the age of them...

lyn

hi fagfingers...am i right in thinking then that its now known as saltley grammar school in belchers lane...thats a good idea of your to contact them about the pics...

lyn

just phoned up the school and the head is out today...she will contact me on monday about these photos...

lyn

I would think the head will be very interested in what you have Lyn. A lovely find, and thanks for posting again.

Lyn,
The coat -of-arms was the same in the Grammar era, except that the letters at the base were SGS rather than SSS. The four quarters represent the four "houses". When you joined the school you were allocated to one of them. They were Bright, Boulton, Kendrick and Priestley. I was in Priestly and wore a white badge. I think the symbol on the coat-of-arms was the crossed keys. Struggling with ancient memory, but I think Bright was the sheaf (yellow badge), Boulton was a blue badge and Kendrick was green. Can't remember which had what symbol though.
Cheers,
Stan

hi ya stan and thank you for that info on the coat of arms...you have just bought to mind our school houses at lozells girls school..the colours were red.blue.yellow and green..the houses were tudor...plantaginate..norman and for the life of me i cant remember what the other one was...i was in the tudor house...this will irritate now until i think of it lol..

lyn

I have been in Saltley School quite recently - was Saltley Grammar back when I was at Alston Rd. From the look of those photographs it hasnt changed much, just scruffier and older now.

And the potted plant in pic No. 3 isnt there anymore..... Wouldnt last long in a school these days would it ?

Last edited:
I attended Saltley Grammar School in the early-mid 1950's and can confirm that the photographs are of that school, in Belchers Lane.

I did not know that one of the quadrangles was hit by a WW2 bomb - I started there in 1950 and there was no sign of it then, although some of the classrooms were of wooden construction which makes me think that there might originally have been three quadrangles and the wooden buildings replaced the brick buildings that were destroyed. Their position was in line with the rooms around the remaining quadrangles.

Hello Lyn, is there any chance you could post those pictures again as they are no longer visible. I went to Saltley grammar in the 70's and wouldn't mind seeing the classroom pics if you get a chance. I was in Priestly by the way ... sounds Harry Potterish now lol
Thanks a lot

Back