• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Saltley Reformatory Schools Records

Agree with your good post Macca, lets hope they are purchased locally,, Hopefully by our illustrious new Central library,, then we can all have a look over (Research) this important slice of "Our" social history,, thanks for post,, John Y

I used to go to Alston Rd school and remember Saltley Grammar...not many weeks went by without one school kicking %&* out of the other.

Hi derekw, the Saltley Reformatory School was now't to do with Saltley Grammar but in fact was much more "Approved" in the early years as indicated in Macca's www link as posted prior,,, It was a "reforming" of the then classed as "naughty" boys and girls from all over the Country (not just B,ham) some poor kids just left Adult Prisons and sent there,, Minor crimes by today's standards but no "ah but it's a shame for them" these poor lads & lasses went through Hell,,, That's why these records are important so we learn How it was and Never to go back to "them good ol daze eh!" John

I saw some photos of the boys from Saltley Reformatory school on Birmingham Images. Did they photograph all the boys? As Herbert Hartley, my grandfather was there in 1900, his number was 1225

Back