• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Saltley Reformatory for boys

barryjohn

proper brummie kid
Does anyone know where I can find a photo of the Norton Boys' Reformatory that used to be on Fordrough Lane in Bordesley Green? I'm sure I've seen one somewhere.
Barryjohn

Here you go, Barry, enjoy
Photo replaced, not necessarily by same photo
Saltley Norton House Reformatory C1903  .jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much. It looks very much like St Peters College, Saltley. Since they were both funded by Charles Adderley do you think they used the same architects?

Still delving into family tree. Mysterious bunch they are turning out to be. Can anyone help with this search?

In the 1881 census Thomas Hands born 1873, son of Edward & Emma lived at Hunters Vale.
In the 1991 census Thomas had disappeared, on searching there seems to be a Thomas Hands in Saltley Reformatory. (What ever that was). Does anyone know how I could get info to find out if its the same Thomas that I have in the 1881 census?

Also any information on his younger sister Emma Hands, who also disappeared on further census

Saltley Reformatory was a remand home for boys, it later became the GPO in Fordrough Lane.

Charles Adderley endowed the Saltley Reformatory in 1853. Following a similar institution started by the Quaker reformer Joseph Sturge a year earlier, it was the first officially recognised reformatory in the UK where emphasis was placed on education and work as opposed to heavy discipline, being officially certified in 1858. It was considered that excellent results were obtained. In 1865 the cost per boy was £14.14s 8d per year, and of 50 recent discharges 68% were doing well and only 18% had re-offended. In 1908, shortly after its founder (then Lord Norton) died, the name was changed to The Norton Boys Home. The boys were moved elsewhere during WW2 and the site taken over by the Post Office

Found the following,if it's of any help?
Deaths Sep 1897
Emma Hands aged 17 Aston 6d 326

Burial Year:1897
Surname:HANDS
First names:Emma
Register no:52242
Place:Warstone Lane cemetery
Town:Birmingham
County:Warwickshire

Thank you Linda, It may have also answered another queury on a Lillian Redhall who is on the 1901 census. We couldn't work out whose child she could have been, but if Emma if the right one, she could have died in childbirth. Would a death certificate help I wonder?
Jennyann, I did find the same web page this evening, turned out its not the same Thomas Hands, so where to I don't know from the 1991 census onwards.

Hi jdn5764:Lilian's birth cert would give parentage!
Births Mar 1898
Lilian Martha Reddall Birmingham 6d 119

Back