• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saltley Hot Air Balloon Accident

It is funny what kids remember and i had totally forgotten about this incident. My niece was only about 5 at the time but she remembers me taking her to see my Mom who lived in Newtown at the time and we were waving to a Air Balloon that was going over.... I remember later that Day i heard it had Crashed and i think someone was killed? Does anyone remember where the crash was?? It would have been in the early to mid 70s.

By the way... It would have ben early to mid 70s.

From the official report....

" Hot Air Balloon G-BCCG - accident at Saltley Trading Estate, Birmingham, on 8 October 1974 at approximately 1400 hrs.

The aircraft was carrying out a private demonstration flight from a car park in the Saltley Trading Estate, Birmingham. Preparation for the demonstration flight began at about 13.15 hrs when the balloon was unpacked and laid outat the site. Shortly after take-off, as the balloon attained a height of approximately 800 feet, it collapsed completely and fell to the ground. The pilot and passenger were killed in the impact.

At take-off, the balloon was seen to rise initially very rapidly, with the burner being operated to approximately 100 feet. A witness, standing approximately 30 metres downwind of the launch point, said that he looked up into the balloon as it passed over his head and noticed what appeared to be a 'rugby football shaped' opening - about three feet long - in the top of the envelope through which the sky could be seen.

The balloon continued its rapid ascent with the envelope pulsating slightly but, apparently, fully inflated. Witnesses away from the departure point remarked on an 'apple core' type of indentation which developed on its upper surface. It was also seen to commence an oscillating, semi-rotary motion during the climb with a period of approximately 10 seconds.

When the balloon had reached a height variously estimated as being from 800 feet to 1,500 feet, witnesses noticed that the ascent had stopped and that the envelope was beginning to lose its shape with the throat and leading quarter of the balloon caving inwards. The collapse progressed rapidly and when last observed in the air, at a height of about 450 feet, the envelope had collapsed completely and was streamered out above the basket which was falling fast.

The balloon came down on a canal tow-path. The two occupants were killed by the impact and the basket and burner assembly were badly damaged; although damage to the canopy was slight. There was no fire.

The total distance covered was approximately 900 metres on a track of 1850C (T) which, using a calculated average wind speed of 12 knots, resulted in a total flight time of 2 minutes. Observations and calculations indicate that the balloon reached its maximum height of approximately 800 feet above ground level (AGL) 310 metres down wind from the point of take-off; an average rate of climb of 1,000 Ft/min."

So when you saw it, it must have been just before the crash....:shocked:

I was working at Delta Metals, Dartmouth Street, and we saw the incident from our second floor office, it seemed to deflate very quickly, we saw it go down but didn't know until later that the two people had been killed. I think there have been previous postings on the Forum regarding this incident.

Thats really sad. Im not convinced these things are safe anyway. They cannot be steered and seem to be at the mercy of the prevailing winds, they might have been around for thousands of years but that doesnt make them safe, ban them!!

I remember that balloon accident! I'd just started a new job at Foseco in Nechells - I didn't see the balloon, but some colleagues did, and realised it was in trouble. From what I gather hot-air balloons are pretty safe - most of the time.

Big Gee

It is funny what kids remember and i had totally forgotten about this incident. My niece was only about 5 at the time but she remembers me taking her to see my Mom who lived in Newtown at the time and we were waving to a Air Balloon that was going over.... I remember later that Day i heard it had Crashed and i think someone was killed? Does anyone remember where the crash was?? It would have been in the early to mid 70s.
Yes it was promotion day for stackatruck or Clarke equipment I was temp telephonist and witnessed whole thing awful they did ask two of the promotion girls to go up but others wanted to, not me, so in end none went thank god

From the official report....

" Hot Air Balloon G-BCCG - accident at Saltley Trading Estate, Birmingham, on 8 October 1974 at approximately 1400 hrs.

The aircraft was carrying out a private demonstration flight from a car park in the Saltley Trading Estate, Birmingham. Preparation for the demonstration flight began at about 13.15 hrs when the balloon was unpacked and laid outat the site. Shortly after take-off, as the balloon attained a height of approximately 800 feet, it collapsed completely and fell to the ground. The pilot and passenger were killed in the impact.

At take-off, the balloon was seen to rise initially very rapidly, with the burner being operated to approximately 100 feet. A witness, standing approximately 30 metres downwind of the launch point, said that he looked up into the balloon as it passed over his head and noticed what appeared to be a 'rugby football shaped' opening - about three feet long - in the top of the envelope through which the sky could be seen.

The balloon continued its rapid ascent with the envelope pulsating slightly but, apparently, fully inflated. Witnesses away from the departure point remarked on an 'apple core' type of indentation which developed on its upper surface. It was also seen to commence an oscillating, semi-rotary motion during the climb with a period of approximately 10 seconds.

When the balloon had reached a height variously estimated as being from 800 feet to 1,500 feet, witnesses noticed that the ascent had stopped and that the envelope was beginning to lose its shape with the throat and leading quarter of the balloon caving inwards. The collapse progressed rapidly and when last observed in the air, at a height of about 450 feet, the envelope had collapsed completely and was streamered out above the basket which was falling fast.

The balloon came down on a canal tow-path. The two occupants were killed by the impact and the basket and burner assembly were badly damaged; although damage to the canopy was slight. There was no fire.

The total distance covered was approximately 900 metres on a track of 1850C (T) which, using a calculated average wind speed of 12 knots, resulted in a total flight time of 2 minutes. Observations and calculations indicate that the balloon reached its maximum height of approximately 800 feet above ground level (AGL) 310 metres down wind from the point of take-off; an average rate of climb of 1,000 Ft/min."

So when you saw it, it must have been just before the crash....:shocked:
One of the store employees ray Holland guessed where it crashed and found them one wasn’t quite dead but did ultimately think it around 73 or 74

One of the store employees ray Holland guessed where it crashed and found them one wasn’t quite dead but did ultimately think it around 73 or 74
I also remember the incident I wad a pupil at duddeston manor school and we saw the balloon going down then on the way home to Arden road in saltley we had to walk down duddeston mill road past the canal we saw the balloon on the tow path with police all around it

I was waiting outside the swimming pool in Alum Rock and remember seeing it falling, then reading about it later in the Mail. Very sad

Really odd, I was just thinking about this and ended up here, I was 5 at the time and my Uncle was the caretaker at Rutland House on Edmund Street (where ATV started 'Tiswas' etc) the caretakers flat was on the roof and he recorded this happen on an old Cine camera, we watched it back on a roll out screen.

I'm sure we still have the footage, he died a few years back but we kept all his tapes and the projector so I'm sure it's still there, going to dig it out!

Note at the end of the accident report states "Despite this fatal accident, G-BCCG continued in service, being sold on to its fourth and final owner on 11/6/1982. Registration finally cancelled by the CAA 6/10/2010 as "Permanently withdrawn from use"

The full DoT report is available at https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5422f4b9ed915d1374000501/3-1976_G-BCCG.pdf

R.I.P. Mike Adams and Mike Sparks who were killed in this accident.

After the British Balloon and Airship Club AGM in 1975 it was decided to introduce a trophy to commemorate them both. It was to be awarded annually to the "Pilot of the Year" who, between consecutive AGM's, had given the most convincing demonstration of flying skill.

The Adams Sparks Trophy:
A S trophy .jpg

The full DoT report is available at https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5422f4b9ed915d1374000501/3-1976_G-BCCG.pdf

R.I.P. Mike Adams and Mike Sparks who were killed in this accident.

After the British Balloon and Airship Club AGM in 1975 it was decided to introduce a trophy to commemorate them both. It was to be awarded annually to the "Pilot of the Year" who, between consecutive AGM's, had given the most convincing demonstration of flying skill.

The Adams Sparks Trophy:
View attachment 177741

Note at the end of the accident report states "Despite this fatal accident, G-BCCG continued in service, being sold on to its fourth and final owner on 11/6/1982. Registration finally cancelled by the CAA 6/10/2010 as "Permanently withdrawn from use"
Was travelling down Duddeston Mill when witnessed the said balloon come down. By the time we had got to the area there was already people at the scene .If only it landed in the canal maybe the impact and outcome may have been different sad sad day. Was only thinking about it a few days ago . RIP to the two Mikes who tragically lost their lives that day.

Hi Michael, does that mean you are Terry Adams son ? I take it Mike was his brother !
My best friend's dad had a Western balloon and Terry used to come and help training him for his pilots licence along with Kevin Meehan.
He sold the balloon because of this accident, the velcro rip came open and they candled in. They have long been replaced by parachute type rips.

Terry Adams is my uncle. He’s living in South Africa but is in poor health unfortunately. I have done some ballooning with him and others. Thanks for the info!

Terry Adams is my uncle. He’s living in South Africa but is in poor health unfortunately. I have done some ballooning with him and others. Thanks for the info!
Thanks Michael, I remember him going off to South Africa, I think he started his own balloon company. He was of course famous for flying a balloon off Ark royal and landing on Malta, that must have been a great sight to see. Sad to hear he's not so well but then he must be getting on in years as i am 63 and was just a teenager when he was around in uk ballooning.
Many thanks

Thanks Michael, I remember him going off to South Africa, I think he started his own balloon company. He was of course famous for flying a balloon off Ark royal and landing on Malta, that must have been a great sight to see. Sad to hear he's not so well but then he must be getting on in years as i am 63 and was just a teenager when he was around in uk ballooning.
Many thanks

Attachments

• balloon.jpg
    balloon.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 12
Back