• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saltley Gas Works Pre 1900

M

MERRELL68

Oky Doky.. as I'm new I'll probably be cheeky and ask for lots of info, that many of you have, that that I've been looking for and totally missed in the searches.. but here goes

I'm related to William Thorne MP for West Ham (Born in Hockley), his older sister married my G Grandfather Williiam Merrell. William (Will) Thorne famous for his Unions for gas workers brought in our 8 hour day. I'm still waiting for info from GMB at Will Thorne House, Halesowen to get back to me... Early Jan infact.

Where would i get info of employees.. (GMB?) and more photo's. My G Grandfather Travelled from Woodhurst, Huntingdon, as an Agricultural Labourer between 1861 1873 to Birmingham as a Labourer.. cant find him on any Census for 1871 (i'll ask for help on this later as this is the only one missing)

Sorry if i'm asking alot.. took me ages to get to this point as his son was in a home.. (my Grandfather Edwin Isacc Merrell) was at Josiah Mason admitted 12 3 1900 left 29 4 1903 (listed as Edward J)

I Could add more but i'll be here all week!! any snippets of

Thanks
Steve

Thanks John,
Another Branch i didn't think about to look for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back