• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saltley Gas Works explosions (1904 and 1923)

C

Chris Rigg

I am trying to put some flesh on my Mother's memoirs. She was living in Rose Cottage, in the grounds of the gas works, where my grandfather was foreman. I need to know the date of an explosion caused by a workman lighting a cigarette; my mother and her family had to leave their home and subsequently moved to Luton.

I could come to Birmingham to look at records but it would be helpful if I could narrow the date.

3 men were killed and windows were broken up to half a mile away and the shock was even felt in Coleshill 8 miles away
Bottom cutting was taken from a brum paper 1900 showing the chimneys being bought down at Saltley Gasworks

Saltley Gas Explosion

The gas explosion at Saltley Gas Works, Duddeston Mill Road was on 10th October 1904. Hope this helps.

trebor (Rita)

Hi ...

Have just joined this forum as I'm trying to find out more about the above, and came across a previous thread whilst Googling!

Can anyone tell me if the gas works closed (either temporarily or permanently) after the explosion in October 1904? Unfortunately, the various cuttings attached to the previous thread do not give this information.

I have an individual on the 1911 census who is working at the Foleshill Gas Works in Coventry, but unfortunately his place of birth is not recorded (the very bit of information I want!). A person of the same name and age appears in the 1901 census as a worker at the Saltley Gas Works - and this one has a place of birth recorded!

Could they be one and the same person? Would someone possibly move from the Birmingham to Coventry gas works around that time?

Any information or guidance anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Pennie

From https://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=16035 (you do have to scroll a long way down) it appears that the Coventry Corporation gas Co was separate until nationalization in 1949. this does not rule out it being the same person, but presumably it would not be a simple transfer from one site of the company to another, but transfer to another company
mike

There apparently were two explosions, one in 1923, and another in 1904, as this cutting from the Birmingham mail of 11.10.1904 shows. I have altered the title appropriately.

Birm mail 11.10.1904.jpg

Here is the whole story....1904 explosion There is no cigarette involved, and therefore in due respect to the men killed, in my opinion, the implication in the first post should not stand without clarification. RIP.

76D496B6-EC83-411E-8947-4A126BF0A4D2.jpeg89C717A8-AAFA-4700-8C1D-6300055F0A97.jpegA8907937-8932-4A20-92A8-841ECC593B9E.jpeg49F08F60-D5EB-42C6-A0EE-A7C45BD6988D.jpegF04E209E-B991-4ECD-8441-0E7232D1CEC7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
pedro which explostion is your report about...the 1904 or the 1923...unless i have missed the date..

lyn

pedro which explostion is your report about...the 1904 or the 1923...unless i have missed the date..

lyn
The report is from the Inquest into the Saltley Gasworks explosion of 1904. The explosion of the 4th of March 1923 is non the less interesting and I will post this later.

thanks pedro just added the date to your post...i do have an interest in the 1923 explosion so any info would be great....

lyn

The verdict of the Coroner's Inquiry into the 1904 Saltley explosion is one of Accidental Death. The Coroner in his summing up concentrates on one of the workers named Jordan. The Jury only take a few minutes to come to their verdict and no riders are added to it.

This is in spite of the evidence given by the respected Professor Redmayne’s questioning of the suitability of the safety lamp. An example of how workers have had to fight to improve the safety at their workplace.

A further explosion in April 1963...

Attachments

• BF2C3D00-696A-46D9-9E8E-1C30CC97814D.jpeg
    BF2C3D00-696A-46D9-9E8E-1C30CC97814D.jpeg
    367.9 KB · Views: 18
A further explosion in April 1963...
Many thanks for the cutting. I seem to recall the event being a much bigger thing. We lived in Devon Street and I can remember a large explosion with windows rattling. Are there any more press cuttings from the day?

Back