• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Saltley Gas Works about 1950

cookie273uk

master brummie
Love painting old Brum, I think this is Nechells Place looking towards the Gas Works but not sure (its from an old black and white pic I found amongst some downloaded images I have)Saltley scene.JPG, perhaps some one could confirm or otherwise. Was thinking of donating it as a future raffle prize but would it have any appeal . DATE SHOULD READ 1968

Last edited:
Cookie it's spot on and you have got the right location.

I forgot to say that it is a photo of Nechells Place taken in 1968.

Attachments

• Nechells Nechells_Place 1968.jpg
    Nechells Nechells_Place 1968.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 73
That was one of the places our school took us round when were in the 4th year, to give us some idea of the choices we had for our working lives ahead. Also remember going to the central fire station, the central library, Kynoch, GEC, and Cadbury's to name a few.

Anyone who rode the 'inner circle 8' a few times would recognise this photo and artistic rendition. It would have been taken from the bridge over the railway...you go carefully around that corner ahead and come to the fork that is the junction of Nechells Place and Cato Street with the Albion (I think) splitting the two. The house on the right was the end house before the railway tracks.

I agree with Rupert as to the position that the photo was taken from, the railway bridge (marked X) and this also shows that the photo must have been taken in the 60's after the demolitions started. As you can see if it had been earlier the houses in St Clements Rd would have blocked the view of the houses on the other side of St Clements Rd (the ones lower down) on the photo. See the earlier and later map.

Attachments

• Earlier Map.jpg
    Earlier Map.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Later Map.JPG
    Later Map.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 31
Phil, thanks for confirmation, worked around that area for a while during my BT engineer days so thought I had the name correct. Forget to write info on downloaded pic. Being black and white I have to guess colours but don't think I am far out. Notice I am way out with the date, will correct that Eric

Last edited:
Cookie

As I said I think it is spot on, only even in the photo things looks much cleaner than the way I used to remember it.

Yes Phil, no litter not even a fag packet, I have suggested a couple of figures and smoke from chimneysto give it life. Eric

Last edited:
My gt Grandad was a steeplejack working on Saltley gasworks when he fell and died.
Gosh, I can remember the stink going past on the 160 bus, can smell it now.

As you say Frothy what a sad sight, looking at my painting and your pic the only thing left is the bit of the bridge on the right. Eric

Love painting old Brum, I think this is Nechells Place looking towards the Gas Works but not sure (its from an old black and white pic I found amongst some downloaded images I have)View attachment 91167, perhaps some one could confirm or otherwise. Was thinking of donating it as a future raffle prize but would it have any appeal . DATE SHOULD READ 1968

I certainly has a lot of appeal, I do like this.

I certainly has a lot of appeal, I do like this.
It was certainly a scarey ride on a loaded no8 going round that bend and the next one by the pub the drivers seemed to speed up going round those bends and if you were on the top deck you wondered whether he had over done it but it always straightened up thankfuly!
phill

Back