• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Book: Saltley, Duddeston & Nechells by Maria Twist

BordesleyExile

master brummie
Maria Twist has included in her book Saltley, Duddeston & Nechells a wealth of delightfull photos, many dating from the early 20C. With chapters on housing, industry, churches, public buildings, schools & colleges the author is to be commended on providing a rounded insight into the area.
It is sad that the photos were not scanned to produce better quality pictures, but perhaps in 2001 this was not possible. I do look forward to more authors & publishers taking advantage of new technology to satisfy reader demand.
Photos attached here:
1) Heneage St
2) Glover, Dartmouth & Crawford St
3) New Canal, Northumberland, Richard, Rowland & Lawley Sts
4) Woodcock & Saltley Baths

How lovely to see Saltley swimming baths. I lived in the next road and was always at the baths. We soon learnt to swim without lessons in the early
50's. Such a shame they pulled it down.
WendyP

Hi Wendy P,

Norton baths hasn't been pulled down but it has had a change of use, not sure what it is now.

Macca

We were at Washwood Heath yesterday if it hadn't rained we would have taken some photo's. Michael says the building is an Islamic Community Centre.

I drove past the baths last year and could have sworn it had disappeared. Perhaps some other building nearby has been pulled down. Sorry about that.

As promised here are pictures of Norton Baths ,taken on saturday 26th september 2009, They are not very good photos ,but as you can see work is being done to the outside brickwork ,and since March the signs saying " Ladies ,And Gents Entrances ) have been removed .
I spoke to the gentleman who runs the car-sales opposite who told me ,it is indeed a gun club , where The Police Force train.

Wow! Woodcock St baths, both my mother and grandmother worked there, neither of them could swim, they used to have a big hook - I imagine for dragging people out! Many an evening I spent sitting on the steps watching, they sometimes worked in the cafe - wagon wheels! This would be in the late 50's early 60's - lovely memories.

Would appreciate very much a photo of the ''Gas House'' pub which was in Crawford St.

Back