• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Saltley / Duddeston & Nechells Area

Colin I,m going for 1963 I know the I used the Station that year There is a 2 tone Ford Consul and a Ford Zepher outside on one photo I owned the Consul and one of my mates owned the Zepher.Dek

Colin, thank you so much for posting photos of Nechells & Saltley. I went to St Clements School and, also worked at Newtons. In post 72, the plot of land in left hand corner, is where the house was that I was born in. I lived there until the
age of 16. So they are very special to me.
Kind regards, Eileen

In the same photo (post 72) in the centre is a patch of grass where once stood a cafe opposite the Prince of Wales pub, if my memory serves me right
in the early 50's a lorry crashed into it,can't remember if anyone was hurt.

Hi John,
I can vaguely remember that accident. I would have only been 6 or 7 at the time, so I don't remember if anyone
was hurt. will have to ask my brother who is older than me. Does anyone remember The Dispensary on other
corner, facing Prince of Wales?
Eileen

I,m still looking for any pictures of Alma Crescent Vauxhall back in the 1930s when we lived at #27

Have a nice day, WallyB71

Hi everyone. Does anyone have any photographs of Raymond Road, Saltley? Also, does anyone know the exact site of 'The Gate' pub? Thanks

The Gate Inn was on the end of Saltley High St at the junction of Washwood Heath Rd.

Attachments

• Saltley High St The Gate.jpg
    Saltley High St The Gate.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Gate Inn.JPG
    Gate Inn.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 68
Here are a few re-post of lost photos and a few new of the area.
nechells-longacre2-late1950s-chris-historicalresearchblog-creativecommons.jpg
Nechells_Park_Road2C_1952.jpg
I just love that Vauxhall on the right
Reginald_Rd_Saltley_A_2.jpg
Removing the last gas lamp in Gosta Green and Duke St
Gosta2BGreen2BDuke2BSt2BRemoving2Bthe2BLast2BGas2Blamp.jpg
5063Reginald_Rd_Saltley_2.jpg
Regards Stars
The photo "Reginald Road Saltley 18th May 1962" shows a Standard car (I think). I believe it belonged to Mr. Guest who always had a "decent motor" (later he had a Ford Corsair - which I much admired). I lived opposite that block of houses. Further down there is an A55 van? where new houses were built on a bomb site that used to be our playground.

Thank you for the wonderful photos of Reginald Road. I lived at number 38 until I got married in 1968. There were very few cars at the time of your photos. My dad had one later, an Anglia. I remember the Guests, think they had a daughter my age.

Great photo's thank you for re posting my husband lived at 14 Ralph Road. I also knew a lady in Tamworth who's mother ran the off licence in Reginald Road in the 40's/50's her son was killed in an air raid.

I'm sure I went to this school, was it very close to the tower blocks, high tower, queens tower etc. I lived in Howford Grove by the park and I remember the Tom Thumb Pub. I then went on to Bloomsbury St before going to Duddeston Manor school.

st anns. school

Duddeston Mill on the River Rea at Duddeston Mill Road was the Holte family's manorial cornmill. In 1540 the Crown Steward who was administering Birmingham manor complained that Birmingham people were using Duddeston Mill instead of Birmingham's own manorial Heath Mill. However, Edward Holte was able to prove that Birmingham's mills had often been inadequate and that his grinding Birmingham corn had been agreed with the previous lord of the manor, Edward de Birmingham. Trade increased and the mill was rebuilt c1570 with three pairs of stones. By 1744, in common with many local mills, it was being used more profitably for metal rolling, blade making and gun-barrel boring by James Farmer.

Gun-maker Samuel Galton, who lived nearby at Duddeston House, rebuilt the mill which continued to make gun barrels until 1888. The mill's weir caused problems in Deritend by holding up the raw sewage discharged from Birmingham a mile upstream. Disastrous floods in 1852 spread raw sewage throughout the lower town and prompted the weir's removal. The unreliability of a constant water supply led to the mill being converted to a steam-powered sawmill. After closure the site was bought by the Midland Railway standing as it did alongside the Birmingham-Derby line.
Duddeston House, Saltley gas works in the background 1954 photographed by Phyllis Nicklin - see Acknowledgements, Keith Berry. At this time it was St Anne's School
On the east side of Devon Street was the Galton family home. Known as Duddeston House, or later confusingly Duddeston Hall, it had been built in a neo-classical style in 1758. There were extensive grounds along the river with a lake covering 2 hectares which was stocked with exotic waterfowl. Samuel Galton Junior was a man of many interests. It was he who discovered that the seven colours of the spectrum are made up only of red, yellow and blue.

After the Galtons left in 1838 the house was used as a lunatic asylum until 1865. and with increasing urbanisation, from 1868 for the overflow of infants of St Matthew's School in Cato Street. As the population continued to increase, the building was altered the following year to accommodate a teacher's house and some 750 pupils, and was renamed St Anne's National School. However, Her Majesty's Inspectors reported poor buildings and poor education iin 1894. The Board of Education were still demanding improvements in 1912. As part of the wide-scale redevelopment of the area the school was closed and the building demolished in 1971 with the children transferring to the new St Matthews School on Duddeston Manor Road.

Thank you for the wonderful photos of Reginald Road. I lived at number 38 until I got married in 1968. There were very few cars at the time of your photos. My dad had one later, an Anglia. I remember the Guests, think they had a daughter my age.
hi, do you remember a pakistani gentlemen who lived at number 34 Reginald road around the same time, i think his name is Mr Izzat Khan.

I wonder if anyone has any photos' of Raymond Road? My sister lived there in the '50s!! I think it was number 25!

Mizzyjo,

I'm afraid this is the nearest I can get you, the junction of Hartopp Road and Raymond Road in the 1940's after a flying visit by the luftwaffe.

Saltley Hartopp Road - Raymond Road.png

Hey Phil, I would LOVE a copy of that photo as my parents house is just out of shot to the left and my father still talks about this raid. Any chance you can send me a decent sized copy somehow (not sure how you do that on here). Any help appreciated !

Paul
If you save the photo it is 250 kb, so you can then print it at whatever size you want. Phil would have scanned it at the resolution shown here, so could not give you a better resolved photo. However I have used a photo program to give a slightly less blurred image(below), if you find that better.

Saltley Hartopp Road - Raymond RoadA.jpg

Thanks but I was hoping Phil might have had the original print and could scan or re-scan at a higher resolution. I'd like to print it off for my elderly father to see which would require something significantly bigger but thanks again for trying.

Thanks but I was hoping Phil might have had the original print and could scan or re-scan at a higher resolution. I'd like to print it off for my elderly father to see which would require something significantly bigger but thanks again for trying.

I'm sorry Paul, but as Mike says the photo you see is a direct copy of the 256 kb png image of the photo that I copied or scanned and I'm afraid as usual I cannot remember where I sourced it from originally though I will see if I can come up with that info.

Back