• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saltley / Duddeston & Nechells Area

stars

master brummie
Here are a few photos of Saltley/Duddeston & Nechells area. I hope you enjoy Regards Stars

Lawford St 1907

Image18Lawford_St_1907.jpg

Dartmouth St 1905

Image12_Dartmouth_St_Saltley_1905.jpg

Bullock St 1905

Image17_Bullock_St_1905_2.jpg

Crawford St

Image20_Crawford_St_Saltley_1905~0.jpg

Glover St 1904

Image21_Glover_St_Saltley~0.jpg

Crawford St 1905

Image13Crawford_St_1905.jpg

Image19_Fox_St.jpg

Image14_Fazeley_St_1905.jpg

Bloomsbury St 1953

Image10_Bloomsbury_St_Nechells_1953.jpg

what great pics.we managed with only cold tap.soap was cheap enough,we was poor but clean.that range is like the one we took out of the cottage last year.it held half the wall up it,and sure was heavy.that wimbushes sold loverly
donuts i used to do shopping for a old lady,who lived in nechells place.on my way home from school she bought 2 every friday bless her. thanks for memories stars

Absolutely fantastic stars. Really brings back the good old days looking at them. If you,ve any more, keep them coming. Thanks.

superb collection of photos you should be proud to hold the past in you hands like this well done !!

A few more of the area

Image25_Lord_St_Nechells.jpg

Nechells Place 1968

Image24__Nechells_PlaceSaltley_1968.jpg

Image2_Ashted_Place_1950s.jpg

Inside of one of the houses in Bloomsbury St in the 1950s

-
Image23_inside_a_house_in_Bloomsbury_St_Nechells~0.jpg

Coleshill St 1914

Image5Coleshill_St_1914~0.jpg

Image6Great_Lister_St_1960.jpg

Ashted Row 1961

Image10_Ashted_Row_1__1961.jpg

If i can bring a little joy to people and get those memories going, then it is well worth it. Enjoy Stars

Not Birmingham Stars, but your picture of the inside of the house in bloomsbury st looked so much like my mothers old house in /chichester (taken in the 1980s) that I had to put it on. It was probably a liitle older (c 1810 if i remember) than the Bloomsbury house, but very similar

livingroom4A.jpg

Hi Mike
Yes i see what you mean it is very much like it. Thanks by the way for your help with the map for my moms house in New John Street West.
I could not find the thread again to put my thanks there.

regards Stars

Wonderfull shots Stars. I have seen some before but these are much better quality. The gasometers on the inner circle 8 route are well remembered. The photographer is standing on a bridge and the railway is under. The cupboards beside the fireplace and eternal mantleshelf clock...we had the same thing. I think ours was originallly a raised coal fireplace with range on the side...they called the changes...modernised. Sash windows onto a bricked yard...that led to the loo...hmmm.

Last edited:
wonderful photos stars....thank you for sharing them with us..love the inside shots of the houses..

mike thanks also for sharing your moms ex living room with us...delightful...

lyn

A few more to help bring back some memories.

Image23_The_Old_Nelson_Inn_Great_Lister_St_1960s.jpg

Image14_Saltley_Railway_Station~0.jpg

Image12_Saltley_Police_Station.jpg

Image7_Aston_St_1932~0.jpg

High St Saltley 1941 Bomb damage

Image19_High_St_Saltley_bomb_damage_1941.jpg

Image18_Alum_Rock_Bridge_1932.jpg

Image15_Highfield_Rd_Saltley.jpg

Regards Stars

Stars What a grand job you have done, I have really enjoyed seeing them Thank you for sharing them with us.

Back