• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saltley & Alum Rock

Hi. Graham. Born 1946 did you know Nobby Worth think his name was John lived in your road. I knew Danny and Terry from the youth club in Edmund road. Still live in Brum Castle Bromwich had a look around the old end a few times makes your heart bleed, still nothing stays the same.
Hi Bish, I lived opposite Nobby Worth, he didnt play out much not into footie. I didn't know there was a youth club in Edmund road.
I had some mates from Nansen juniors who went to leigh road but would be a couple of years below you, Peter ball, Frank James, George Taylor.
I must go down the rock again before it's too late, Adderley and ward end park, so many good memories

Hi. Graham. Peter Frank and George all good footballer George played for Saltley and Erdington in the English schools final I know Frank played for Highgate and think Peter did. Nobby and I used to cycle to Earlswood at weekends and school holidays to a horse racing stables Nobby stayed on as an apprentice jockey after he left school think he had a few races.

Hi. Graham. Peter Frank and George all good footballer George played for Saltley and Erdington in the English schools final I know Frank played for Highgate and think Peter did. Nobby and I used to cycle to Earlswood at weekends and school holidays to a horse racing stables Nobby stayed on as an apprentice jockey after he left school think he had a few races.

Georges blonde locks, all gone now hear been bald for years.
Frank is front row far left and Pete was skipper bottom row centre.
What about prosser, next to George or Keith Jones or James? Next to me?

Hi. Ray.
I was born in Phillimore Rd in 46 lived there till 74 vaguely remember a Newton Family think they lived near bottom of the road near a family named Tranter I lived the top end near Wright Rd. Bish.

Hi Everyone

Very new to this site and found all the photo's of a Alum Rock and Saltley facinating. I lived at Ward End Close from 1959 and went to Nansen Road Primary and Naseby Secondary. My GG Granfather ran a coffee shop in Saltley High Street and died there in 1897. On the 1881 census it states that he owned 27 High Street as a coffee shop keeper and by 1891 he also had 5 High Street. Any photo's from this era would be great. My dad was born in Cato street and later moved to Maitland Road wher his mom lived until 1993. My mom lived in Ward End Close until 2003. Thanks again to everyone for the photo's.

Ron
Hi Ron,
your name rings a bell. I went to Nansen, too. I was there from 1959 thru' 1966. There were a few of us Stretton's that went to that school. My classmates were Ann Jackson, Pauline Underhill, Andrew Hall, Marcus Etheridge and I think there was an Andrew Swan,

some great photos coming through ,I don’t think the rock saltley or ward end park are anything like it today,does anyone on this site still live in the areas?

Thanks for posting those piccies, Macca. Brings back memories of when I was 'The man from the Pru' for much of the Alum Rock area in the 50's. :)
Hi ive never been able to find any pics of where I was born Argyle street nechells, we used to live next to an outdoor called Nicklins ? Corner of Rd post office come shop called Ripley. Just joined this is my first post, im trying to find my way around.thanx.

some great photos coming through ,I don’t think the rock saltley or ward end park are anything like it today,does anyone on this site still live in the areas?
I did just off the washwood heath rd, ward end,ive since moved to Herefordshire, used to go up the rock with my mom, my nan lived on George Arthur Rd, also went to the rock Bingo, loved shopping there then.

Hi ive never been able to find any pics of where I was born Argyle street nechells, we used to live next to an outdoor called Nicklins ? Corner of Rd post office come shop called Ripley. Just joined this is my first post, im trying to find my way around.thanx.
Wendy, welcome to the Forum - enjoy!

I did just off the washwood heath rd, ward end,ive since moved to Herefordshire, used to go up the rock with my mom, my nan lived on George Arthur Rd, also went to the rock Bingo, loved shopping there then.
My husband was born at 24, George Arthur Road and I lived in the next road up Reginald Road.

I wonder if you ever visited our house in Ash Rd.
A lot of my family lived around Saltley and Waswood Heath. My auntie, Liz, ran the greengrocers by the no 8 bus clocking in point, Saltley. She used to make and sell the most delicious toffee apples. She had a large silver till with the houses parliament on it. She lived with Len who played the accordion and they had a daughter called Pat. She moved to Shard End and worked in a greengrocers there until she was in her late 80s.
My uncle Cecil and Aunt Nancy lived in Saltey by a park, maybe at the end of Hams Road. They ran a grocers. When I visited as a child I used to get sent to buy beer in a jug from the outdoor. They had two sons, Gary and David. All these people are deceased apart from David.
My sister and I had some wonderful times staying with them. Eating sweets from the shop, playing in the park, learning how to make tablemats and teapot stands. Great.

I wonder if you ever visited our house in Ash Rd.
I don't know. Maybe. We used to go to the pantomime at the Hippdrome every year courtesy of Uncle Cecil's factory. We were given paperbag with toffees. We loved to put 6d in the slot and get the opera glasses. We thought we were the bees knees.

The park would have been Adderley Park. It's still there. I knew Hams Road very well as I had a friend who lived there. As I lived in Ash Road I could see her house from the back of our flat and I used to shout to her across the gardens! I wonder if your uncle and aunt had the grocers that used to be on the corner of Ash Road and Arden Road.

Back