• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saltley & Alum Rock

There is a lot of movement by people in the picture. Some seem to be walking away (over the bridge?), other waiting for a tram, the sign suggests a tram stop, others about to go in as is the horse and wagon. Was the works the former MetCam place?

I have been asked by member "Maysfamily" to locate and post an image of Fernbank that was located on Alum Rock Road apparently one of her ancestors lived there at one time. All I know about the house was it became part of a TA barracks until it was demolished and replaced by a housing estate,

Hi Phil,

I used to shoot at the Fernbank Range in the early 60's. It was the long narrow building
just inside the gate as shown on the map, and was for small bore rifle and pistol shooting.
Full bore shooting was at Hurley Range.

The range keeper at that time was Mr Flook, and he lived at the big house.

Kind regards
Dave

A somewhat staged photo of the post office (and staff ?) on Ash Road. Viv.

View attachment 138566
I notice in the window on the left the term " Drug Store " I never seen or heard this term in England when growing up, I had to teach my wife you went to a chemist shop for medication,.
And what Germoline is along with Dettol and other things.
The smell of Germoline always came to mind when I drank root beer here.

When I had a Saturday job at Boots we (staff) always referred to the pharmacy side as the ‘drugs counter’ or the ‘drugs side’. Customers knew exactly what you meant if you referred them to the ‘drugs counter’. But it would never have occurred to us to think of ourselves as a drugstore (as per the US type chemist). We were always ‘the Chemists’. The pharmacist was called ‘the chemist’ (not as today with the title of ‘Pharmacist’). And there was absolutely no doubt as to who the ‘Chemist’ was.

So yes Bob, strange that the photo shows the title ‘Drug Stores’. But I assume it’s just a description rather than a title ie a place which stores or stocks drugs. Could be wrong though ! Viv.

Film 1910 called the Chemists Mistake...
A little girl gets a bottle of what she thinks is cough medicine for her mother, who is lying sick at home. After she leaves the drug store, the chemist realizes that she has the wrong bottle. It contains poison.

Robert Bickley is listed in the 1910-1921 Kellys at 2 Ash Road as Drug Store. By 1932 edition he is listed as a drysalter.

It's
When I had a Saturday job at Boots we (staff) always referred to the pharmacy side as the ‘drugs counter’ or the ‘drugs side’. Customers knew exactly what you meant if you referred them to the ‘drugs counter’. But it would never have occurred to us to think of ourselves as a drugstore (as per the US type chemist). We were always ‘the Chemists’. The pharmacist was called ‘the chemist’ (not as today with the title of ‘Pharmacist’). And there was absolutely no doubt as to who the ‘Chemist’ was.

So yes Bob, strange that the photo shows the title ‘Drug Stores’. But I assume it’s just a description rather than a title ie a place which stores or stocks drugs. Could be wrong though ! Viv.
It's odd these days a drug stores here are more like a five and dime ( Woolworths ) you can get a prescription filled, but also milk, t shirts, candy, cards, flip flops, beach stuff, make up, and all the usual stuff,
The big chain here is Walgreens there's one on every corner it seems ( this is Florida gods waiting room ) so there is always a line at the counter for meds
Walgreens is a major share holder in Boots.

I've searched and searched and I can't find a photo of Raymond Road in Saltley!! Does anyone have one please? My sister lived at no 25 and my new husband and I lived in her front room for a while!!

My granny lived in Wright Road, off the Havelock Road, behind Ted Haynes. I think it's all fenced off now isn't it? Are they still there?

I've searched and searched and I can't find a photo of Raymond Road in Saltley!! Does anyone have one please? My sister lived at no 25 and my new husband and I lived in her front room for a while!!
If you go to the search facility on this site and type in Raymond Road you will see a few posts about this Road.

No photos here but it does have a little information.
I notice you made a similar request in May, last year, but since then a lot of photos of Saltley and Nechells in particular have been added but are in a long posts and do not, as a result, show up in a search. Trawling the threads, about the areas, may yield a photo or two and that is my only suggestion.

Hi Rosary_boy, thanks for posting the photos of the Rosary, did you go to school there?..I lived on the corner of Bridge and College Roads 1962-1972.
Hi Very I, we lived in 118 Bridge Road, McKennas, right next door to the chapel, are you related to John Hayes....

Back