• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saltley & Alum Rock

Then the forth picture of St Saviours Church. That was opposite where I lived in Ash Road. We used to go through a gap in the iron fencing to get into the church yard. The church bordered St. Saviours Rd, Ash Road and Hall Road. Hall was a great hill and I used to roller skate down there "hell for leather"!

we use to play in the church yard a lot, where we lived the grove on sameside next to church they was a cut though onto
st saviours road good days we always built a massive bonfire every year and always burnt the telegraph wires lol,
Ash road was a busy road a fair few of us was knocked over by cars, we use to play down the canals, the tyres down landor street, Adderley park on the pully and play centre until got burnt down, I remember local paper shops on Arden rd, between hams rd, the swimming baths George artur,

can anyone remember alum rock the way it was in the early 1970s or as any one got any photos of alum rock in the 1970s

I remember living on Farndon Road in 1960 and I have an aunt who still lives there. She has been in her house for over 60 years.
We lived at No 40 before we moved out to Strechford for a couple of years and then moved back to Bridge Road, Alum Rock from 1962 in until 1972.

I have been asked by member "Maysfamily" to locate and post an image of Fernbank that was located on Alum Rock Road apparently one of her ancestors lived there at one time. All I know about the house was it became part of a TA barracks until it was demolished and replaced by a housing estate, although the Army Cadet Force still has a unit HQ on site.

Alum Rock Fernbank Alum Rock Rd 1936  .jpgalum rock road fernbank.JPG

I have been asked by member "Maysfamily" to locate and post an image of Fernbank that was located on Alum Rock Road apparently one of her ancestors lived there at one time. All I know about the house was it became part of a TA barracks until it was demolished and replaced by a housing estate, although the Army Cadet Force still has a unit HQ on site.

View attachment 137367View attachment 137368
So sad to see such a beautiful place go...……...

It looks like part of the picture has been touched up. There was an explosion at Saltley Gasworks in 1904 with large crowds lining the funeral routes.

Back