• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saltley & Alum Rock

Hi Gerry

Was it this shop "Civic", possibly a little later than this image?

View attachment 131262
times i had to walk to the shop on the end. valspar for a tin of paint. happy times.
i would look in all the shops,and get back to work late, the boss would say were you bin:innocent:. i would say the shop was full i had to wait. i bet he thought "you little liar tommy"

The man that ran the Electrical and TV and Radio shop, by The Gate, was called: GRAHAM MAYNARD. Does that ring any bells...?

Karen - Did Dr. Jones take over from Dr. Patel who retired and moved to Blackpool?

Dr. Patel was our doctor for years(we lived in Ash Road) then a Dr. Jones took over. It must be the same one.

Hi everyone, have just seen Phil's photo of the civic radio shop on Alum Rock Saltley I was born in Reginald road in1952 and went to St Saviours could anyone tell me the name of the road to the shops right I remember the outdoor on the corner could this be Reginald road and Fullbrooks sweet shop facing next to a flower shop and on the same side was McGalleys not sure of spelling but it sold toys on one side of the shop got my airfix kits here and sold bikes and spare parts the other side would love to find out more of the shops on the Rock and if anyone has photos of St Saviours school 1950 -1970 era would appreciate any information please many thanks BLUEBOY

Wasn't it Gate Street that joined Clayton Road which in turn joined Washwood Heath Road?

wright rd.to the left if standing with civic behind you reginald rd oppersite,next to george arthur rd

The school I went to was called Adderley Infants, the back entrance was in Adderley Road but the front was in St. saviours Road. I think it is called St. Savious School now isn't it? The juniors was on the corner of Adderley and Arden Roads. I started school about 1956 in the Infants and then moved to the Juniors after three years. Eventually going to Cherrywood Secondary Modern. I was born in 1951

Karen - Did Dr. Jones take over from Dr. Patel who retired and moved to Blackpool?

Dr. Patel was our doctor for years(we lived in Ash Road) then a Dr. Jones took over. It must be the same one.
Hi Suemalings yes that's right Dr Patel was my Dr from 1952 not sure when he retired to Blackpool Dr Jones took over and wanted a bigger practice if you remember the surgery was a house and the waiting room was the front room with chairs around the walls I assume Dr Jones was taking on more patients and wanted a bigger space hence Highfield Rd .

wright rd.to the left if standing with civic behind you reginald rd oppersite,next to george arthur rd
Thank you mw0njm I moved to wright rd in 1957 so that is wright road in photo cant remember I know Ted Haynes was on the corner of our road but that doesn't look like his shop I worked there to get some pocket money before leaving school still confused mate

The school I went to was called Adderley Infants, the back entrance was in Adderley Road but the front was in St. saviours Road. I think it is called St. Savious School now isn't it? The juniors was on the corner of Adderley and Arden Roads. I started school about 1956 in the Infants and then moved to the Juniors after three years. Eventually going to Cherrywood Secondary Modern. I was born in 1951
Hi again Sue malings I went to the st saviours on the rock next to the rock picture house this is the school I am looking for photos of new infants block behind old Victorian block on alum rock road was there from 57 to 63 remember mrs Willison head mr Hincks mr Brown and mrs Gale always wore short fury boots smashing teacher as was mr Brown was always taking a few of the class to Sutton park to discover nature I think that's where I got my birdwatching butterflies and fish interests from happy days

Hi again Sue malings I went to the st saviours on the rock next to the rock picture house this is the school I am looking for photos of new infants block behind old Victorian block on alum rock road was there from 57 to 63 remember mrs Willison head mr Hincks mr Brown and mrs Gale always wore short fury boots smashing teacher as was mr Brown was always taking a few of the class to Sutton park to discover nature I think that's where I got my birdwatching butterflies and fish interests from happy days

I don't remember a school next to the Rock picture House, but I do know Mr. Hinks. He was at Adderley Junior School. He used to take the "top class" which was housed in the room with the fire escape upstairs. Our nature walks consisted of a walk around the streets of Saltley collecting leaves, that was about it as far as nature was concerned.

Used to go to the Rock cinema with my brother most Friday nights. Saw The Magnificent Seven, North to Alaska, Polyanna - happy and innocent days!

Dr Patel was out doctor from when we moved to Ash Road in about 1955. he was a lovely man and looked after us all very well. I remember the surgery, yes and the front room of the house which was the waiting room. No appointments, just get there early and sit and wait your turn! We moved to Nansen Road in 1967, Highfield Road was not far so maybe we kept the same Doctor, I can't remember.

I don't remember a school next to the Rock picture House, but I do know Mr. Hinks. He was at Adderley Junior School. He used to take the "top class" which was housed in the room with the fire escape upstairs. Our nature walks consisted of a walk around the streets of Saltley collecting leaves, that was about it as far as nature was concerned.

Used to go to the Rock cinema with my brother most Friday nights. Saw The Magnificent Seven, North to Alaska, Polyanna - happy and innocent days!
Hi suemalings St Saviours was on the left as you stood infront of the Rock cinema with a car park on the cinema's right Mr Hinks was my last teacher before leaving to go to Alderlea sec modern in Shard End. Don't know if you remember the Village pub on the Rock this was facing St Saviours school and I played football and cricket for them I remember catching the bus outside the school every week which would take the teams over to Burney Lane sports field to practise Spent many a Saturday morning at the Rock with all the local kids and my dad would take me on an evening to watch Goldfinger and Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns and the Vikings with Kirk Douglas still love to watch historical and adventure movies

Last edited:
Hi PMC (dont know your name),
I am just looking at some photos of Alum Rock you posted in December. One I love is the road I was born in and lived in till I was 24, Reginald Road. Its a great photo. They are all fantastic, thank you.
Wendy

Hi Wendy,
do you remember a Pakistani Gentleman who lived at 34 Reginald road between 1958 - 1969, by the name of Izzat Khan

Seeing the Reginald Road pic reminded me that my sister and her family lived at number 53 between 1950 and 1970 approximately. As I worked locally in the 50's, I often popped round for a visit at lunchtime. They had a large black Oldsmobile car in those days. Their kids names were George & June Davies. Ring any bells?
do you remember a pakistani gentleman who lived at 34 reginald road between 1958 - 1969, maybe your sister might know him, or maybe not.

thanks

Took these around Saltley and Alum Rock where I was Born

Attachments

• DSC07266JPG.jpg
    DSC07266JPG.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 86
  • DSC08768JPG.jpg
    DSC08768JPG.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 70
  • DSC08783JPG.jpg
    DSC08783JPG.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 72
  • Saltley 20-09-18 60JPG.jpg
    Saltley 20-09-18 60JPG.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 77
  • Saltley 20-09-18 76JPG.jpg
    Saltley 20-09-18 76JPG.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Then the forth picture of St Saviours Church. That was opposite where I lived in Ash Road. We used to go through a gap in the iron fencing to get into the church yard. The church bordered St. Saviours Rd, Ash Road and Hall Road. Hall was a great hill and I used to roller skate down there "hell for leather"!

Back