• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saltley & Alum Rock

Old Mill, on Cato Street North, still standing derelict. its even got a roof top garden,,
20181114_100825.jpg
View from Inside J H Richards

20181113_132335.jpg
This is a view from Cato Street North,

This Cato Street North was quite popular apparently, it was all residential housing but now there is not one single house all commercial / industrial premises

Cracking photo Mike, exactly as I remember "The Gate" area in Saltley in the late 60's and early 70's. Do you remember the newspaper seller who stood near the corner outside the Tilt Hammer pub ?
I grew up in the late 60's in Ludlow Road, Alum Rock....mom and dad had the newsagents shop on the corner of Alderson Road. Went to Shaw Hill School and we used to walk down Alum Rock Road first thing every Monday to George Arthur swimming baths. Happy days !
I was friends with the licencees Daughter daughter Glenys Cope we both went to open air school in 62/63. I went to her birthday party. in 63.

I was friends with the licencees Daughter daughter Glenys Cope we both went to open air school in 62/63. I went to her birthday party. in 63.
me and my family also moved to Bordesley Green 1963 when I was 11.I later 66 to69 worked at different businesses down the Rock starting with sat work at Smiths shoe shop. went to work in offices braggs Bakers
and a company down by Saltley Gate and Bridge Brock Metal in offices.

When I was sixteen, I used to work in a TV shop in Saltley, just down from the traffic lights at the Gate. It was run by a man called Graham. In the window he had a camera, AND a mic and we would sit in the workshop upstairs, and listen to the comments from the people looking in the window at the tellies and radios. They would stand back in surprise, when we would talk to them! This was in 1957/8. Does anyone remember the TV shop?

There was a TV shop next to the Gate called Saltley TV Co Ltd the number of the shop was number 34 there was also Lerner Brothers over the road at number 37. You can just see the edge of the shop on this photo of the Gate.

Saltley High St The Gate.jpg

Hi Gerry

Was it this shop "Civic", possibly a little later than this image?

View attachment 131262
mom bought a small radio from civic radio.when she got it home it did not work, she took it back,and the snotty sales woman "set it worked before it left here" she would not change it or refund.her.. the shop by the gate was full of gimmicks

There was a TV shop next to the Gate called Saltley TV Co Ltd the number of the shop was number 34 there was also Lerner Brothers over the road at number 37. You can just see the edge of the shop on this photo of the Gate.

View attachment 131263
Hi, and thank you. This looks so much like the shop I remember. I am still looking to see if I can find anything else that will give me a memory jog about the old shop. But, I think this was it. Thank you. Gerry

Hi everyone, have just seen Phil's photo of the civic radio shop on Alum Rock Saltley I was born in Reginald road in1952 and went to St Saviours could anyone tell me the name of the road to the shops right I remember the outdoor on the corner could this be Reginald road and Fullbrooks sweet shop facing next to a flower shop and on the same side was McGalleys not sure of spelling but it sold toys on one side of the shop got my airfix kits here and sold bikes and spare parts the other side would love to find out more of the shops on the Rock and if anyone has photos of St Saviours school 1950 -1970 era would appreciate any information please many thanks BLUEBOY

Cheer's Gerry hope someone has some information, spent 5 years in Reginald road before moving up the Rock to Wright road till1973 got married moved to Erdington and the Vale before moving to Devon in 1978 still miss the place that's why I am scouring the posts for anything that brings back memories BLUEBOY

Back