• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saltley & Alum Rock

Cranby Street

My father and his family lived at 61 Cranby Street and his motherand sisters still lived there into the 1970s; the family name was Rawlings

bhatti, some time ago our Forum was 'hacked' and all pics wiped out, although members have replaced some, a lot have yet to be restored, cannot remember the date we were hacked but it must be at least 2 years ago so all images before then will be affected. Eric

its a shame i can hear but cant see sort of thing.very hard to imagine reading about things.thanks for youre reply

eric would you beleive it was round about sept 2011 that the forum was hacked and i believe we lost about 66000 images...it is only through the dedication of our members that so many have been reposted of course some can not be as the original posters may no longer be with us for one reason or another but we do our best..

lyn

Yes Lyn, I spent all day putting my paintings back on 'original art ' thread although I notice other painters have not restored theirs, shame. Eric

Hello, I wonder if someone would be kind enough to tell me how to open the photos on this thread please? I lived in Alum Rock from 1965 to 1974. Many thanks.

Hi MrsT,

Unfortunately the forum lost all it's photos a few years back due to it's being hacked. The photos you see now are the ones that some of the members were kind enough to repost and of course those that have been posted since. Not all of the members have been able to replace the missing photos for one reason or another, but looking back through the thread it doesn't seem to have suffered as much as some others.

If there was any particular photo that you would have liked to have seen, just let us know which one it was and somebody might be able to come up with a replacement that you can view.

Welcome to the Forum, MrsT1904.

You are probably referring to images posted some time ago. Unfortunately the Forum was hacked several years ago and in the process all images were lost. Many of these have been replaced by the original posters but by no means all. If the original poster remains an active member there is always the chance that he/she will replace particular pictures at some stage in the future, especially if there is a specific request for them. If however their membership has lapsed or they are no longer active, then we have to accept that in most instances the images are lost to us.

(For more recent images which appear as a thumbnail a simple clicking on them will of course expand them for viewing).

Chris

PS There you are, two responses from Admin for the price of one! (Sorry, they overlapped).

Last edited:
All missing photos on this thread have now been replaced with original photos or as near to the original as possible, Replacement carried out by the moderation team so enjoy.

The aerial view of saltley in post 86 is a great photo, so much to see. And it looks quite pleasant in the sun but I imagine when the weather was bad and all those factories/chimneys were belching out smoke it was not very nice.

Anybody remember going to Sunday School on the Washwood Heath Road in the early 1970's it used to be run by a man called John and it was held over a shop near to the corner of Aston Church Road or does anybody have a kelly's directory listing the shops around this junction during the early 1970's.

As somebody who lives near this area now, I am amazed at the photos and memories you have shared. Really fantastic!

does anyone have anything on William h day, he was a greengrocer and lived on addersley road around 1900-1940. I think his shop was either on addersley road or claverton street. his wife Clara and daughter violet were living at 122 addersley road in 1938. (trying to help my mum find out about her grandparents)

William Henry Day had a greengrocers shop listed in Kellys directory at 122 Adderley Road from at least 1932 till 1946. In 1949 it was run by Mrs Clara Day. up till at least 1924 the shop is listed as being a greengrocer William Smith, but the electoral roll shows William Henry Day (the younger) being the occupant in 1920 and 1922 (only some years on line) . Therefore either initially he was still trading under the name of William Smith, or at first he was merely living there, and possibly working in shop, but did not own it.

thank you , that's really helpful, I keep trawling through different websites but no luck until now, my mum will really appreciate it. she as no living memory of her grandparents, just the odd tit bits from her older brother. thanks again.

Does anybody have any photos of "The Pelham" please? There's photos of the Capitol cinema on here but seems to be a dearth of photos regarding the area. Shops like Les Bryan, Highways, Allens, Fred Parkin, Hunts...thanks Darren

hi and welcome....do you mean the pelham arms pub...if so try putting it in the search box top right of the page and see what comes up...i am sure there are photos of it on the forum

lyn

Back