• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saltley & Alum Rock

A lady called Mrs Butler called us a few weeks ago about some of the other services we offer at Norton Hall.

Amazingly during our conversation, we discovered that Toni was her neice who had completed some photography work as part of her degree course and is now living in Australia.

Mrs Butler has promised to keep in touch and seek permission for Norton Hall to use the photographs as part of the Saltley Stories project.

Hi Norton Hall,

From what era are the photo's in Toni Butlers book, I'm guessing they are fairly recent?

Macca

We have a photo of the Queen's coronation taken in the grounds of Norton Hall. My husband b 1945 lived in Ralph Road unntil his family moved to Castle Bromwich in 1959/60.

I will scan it and post it here. I am sure the photo on post #174 would be of interest as well. I will have a look and see what we have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the photo sorry for the delay I couldn't find it!
Norton Hall, Ralph Road, Saltley. Queen's coronation 1953.
Click on image to enlarge

Norton_Hall_1953.jpg

I hope whoever Norton Hall is has found this photo they asked me to post!

Hi Wendy. Thanks you so much for the phoot you posted its fantastic! Will be showing it to the children in the nursery here and older kids in the after school clubs.

Great insight into the history of the area.

Thanks again :)

I am pleased you like the photo and hope it helps. My husband lived in Ralph Road next door but one to East Birmingham Trades and Labour Club. Lots of history in the area I think.

Norton Hall

Saltley Stories Big Picture Day on Saturday 26th October 12-4pm @ Norton Hall children & Family Centre.
An open invitation is extended to all to join us on Saturday where you'll have the opportunity to view some fantstic old photos of the area, some of which have never been published before.

To document life in Saltley as it is today, we'll also have professional photgraphers on site so bring along family & friends and have a self portrait photo taken for FREE. With permission, photographs taken on the day will be used as archive material for the project and made available for use by future generations. So this is a great opportunity to get yourself into the history books.

If you have any old photos that you'd like to share with the project and have them included on our website or archived with the Library of Birmingham then please do bring them along.

Hope to see you all there

BPD Poster.JPG

Hi Wendy
Were there two labour clubs in Alum Rock. I only remember the one in Highfield Road.. H

Hi Harry, I lived next door but one to the East B'ham Trades and Labour Club in Ralph from 1945 to 1959 and my late father was a member there. It was at number 8 Ralph Rd, It's still there but it has been converted to a residence.

In the photo my wife posted of the Coronation party outside Norton Hall post #227,that's me on the front row, third right from the centre display, at the tender young age of 8.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mick P, Thank you for your reply. I have walked up and down Alum Rock Road many times during that time period and never knew that there was a Labour club there. I presume it was at the Rock end by the number 8. How I missed it I do not know. As they say you learn something every day. Harry

Hi Mick P, Thank you for your reply. I have walked up and down Alum Rock Road many times during that time period and never knew that there was a Labour club there. I presume it was at the Rock end by the number 8. How I missed it I do not know. As they say you learn something every day. Harry

Harry, If you walked up Ralph Rd from the Rock on the left hand side, you first walked past the rear of Alaways Radio & Television shop, you then came to a block of three terraced houses and the club was set back, attached to the third house. It was very small, not much bigger than the houses and nothing like it's big brother in Highfield Rd.

Hi Micky P, Thanks for that but I don't remember seeing it. I do recall I think a very old dusty old Ironmongers shop on the corner. Bruces ?

Hi Micky P, Ref my last message I may have jumped a bit in time as the shop Bruces was there in 1940-45. so you may not have known it

Hello Harry, I do remember the
run down, dusty old shop but I think it was called Wrights Hardware when I knew it, with Alaways Radio & Television shop on the opposite corner of Ralph Rd.

61 Cranby Street and his motherand sisters still lived there into the 1970s; Hi iread your post but you must have the house number wrong as I lived at 61 Cranby Street from 1966 until 1974 with my farther and brother.It was the first house on Cranby Street next to Dons newsagens.

Back