• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saltley & Alum Rock

T O Cole (1937) Trunk Manufacturers and Stokes Brothers Sheet Metal Workers were down that same alley. The alley was there until at least the mid 70's and it was also the former site of Saltley Hall which was mentioned earlier.

Attachments

• Saltley Saltley Hall .jpg
    Saltley Saltley Hall .jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 87
Thanks for that info Phil,I don't know how long they made tin trunks there,or when the company ceased trading,it was certainly still there in the 50's,because my Grandmother (T Cole's daughter) was still working there, until she retired in her 70's !

Hi All
I'm trying to trace a gentleman by the name of Toni Butler from Alum Rock.
He has produced a fantastic archive of photographs for the Alum Rock area and provided a bound copy to Ward End Libray, (pic below).
It would be great to speak to him in regards to our "Saltley Stories" Project.
If anyone has any details, please do get in touch.
afro.gif

9fmtqw.jpg

Hi Norton Hall,

If its Toni with an I it could be a woman?? Are you going to share the photos with us? I'd love to see them :)

Macca

I worked for Mrs. Cutts who used to have the grocers shop at 15 Ash Road. During School holidays I worked more hours and I used to have the job of making the moprning tea toast for the workmen who used to come over from the factories that were on what is now Ashley Gardens. I made endless slices of toast spread with Stork margarine then wrapped in greaseproof paper!

Hi Macca

Unfortunately we don't currently have permission to use the photographs but if that changes we'll try uploading some for you.

The book is available at Ward End Libray however.

Norton Hall

Norton Hall, there is a Toni Butler born in Birmingham who went to Washwood Heath School, but now lives in Australia. I wonder if this is the one you are looking for?

HumbleWorks,

It is more likely you mean Somerset St. Duddeston, which was borderline with Saltley. If that is so then the closest school would have been St Anne's just around the corner in Devon St.

St Anne's School, I assume that's what you meant.

Attachments

• s school .jpg
    s school .jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Nechells St Annes School Devon St.jpg
    Nechells St Annes School Devon St.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 90
Do you know it was that school that they attended? There are others close by, your mother may have gone to Bloomsbury Girls. Are your parents still with us and can you ask them. I might be able to supply images of other schools.

Do you know it was that school that they attended? There are others close by, your mother may have gone to Bloomsbury Girls. Are your parents still with us and can you ask them. I might be able to supply images of other schools.

Sadly no otherwise I would have asked .... the time would have been in the mid 1920s so I reckon the Devon street is spot on..

Hi All, Our Saltley Stories project is looking for local volunteers to take part in the project. Volunteers will be trained on conducting oral history interviews and after getting CRB clearance with work with us in speaking to and interviewing local people about life in Saltley.

The first session of training has been organised to take place on 7th October at the Library of Birmingham.

Anyone interesting in finding out more about the project or joining us as a volunteer please contact Nayer asap on 0121 328 3043.

Ps. we found the Toni Butler we were looking for. She lives in Australia and her aunt, who lives locally, is seeking permission for us to use her photographs.

Having been born and living in Alum Rock until I was 24, I would love to see this book. Is there any way the library can show it?

Hi Wendy

The book is currently available at Ward End Library, you need to ask for it at the desk. As a matter of interest, what year did you move out of Alum Rock and would you be interested in getting involved with the Saltley Stories Project?

The Saltley Stories Project will look at the Saltley area and how it has evolved from the the early 60's. As part of the project we would like to get in touch with and interview people who lived in the area from the 60's onwards to get an insight as to how life was then. We'd also like to share old photographs people may have of life in the area and possibly recreate new ones.

The project will culminate with an exhibition that will share and bring to the forefront the life and times of Saltley residents and all material will be archived at the Central Library for future use. :)

I was born in Reginald Road in 1944 and moved out when I got married in 1968. However I always lived within 30 minutes of "The Rock". Unfortunately I now live in Suffolk so cant visit the library but when I am next in Birmingham I will make a point of visiting and looking at the book. Does anyone know or remember Toni Butler.

Back