• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saltley & Alum Rock

Hi
Thanks for the picture of Ellesmere Road - my grandmother lived there until she died in 1970. Many happy memories of this road. I am looking for pictures of the bottom of the Rock - Shops by St. Saviours School - Reg Sales shop - we lived back of the shop until 1958 this was number 28 and my grandparents had the shop number 32 Alum Rock Road.

A few shots of Saltley and Alum Rock. The one that comes to mind mostly for me is the one of the number 8 bus stop at the junction of Adderley Rd and High St.

I remember running to catch a number 8 bus as it was in the 60's I was wearing a pair of Cuban heel boots (remember them) Well I slipped and slid halfway under the bus just as it was about to pull away. I have never moved so fast before or since, I was out of there like lightening, and I never even caught the bus.

The first on is the Adderley Rd one taken in 1955
The second one is High St taken 1960
The third one is Nansen Rd
The forth one is Pelham Rd
The Last is Woodwells Rd taken in 1957

I'll see if I can sort a few more out.

Phil

Attachments

• Saltley Adderley Rd 1955 .jpg
    Saltley Adderley Rd 1955 .jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 253
  • Saltley High St 1960.jpg
    Saltley High St 1960.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 250
  • Saltley Nansen Rd .jpg
    Saltley Nansen Rd .jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 245
  • Alum Rock Pelham Rd.jpg
    Alum Rock Pelham Rd.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 231
  • Alum Rock Woodwells Rd 1957.jpg
    Alum Rock Woodwells Rd 1957.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 241
Great pictures Phil. I have just found out about a cousin Christopher Parton who was living in Havelock Road around 1964. I don't know how long he lived there or if he went to a local school. He would be 64 now. If anyone knows or knew him please send me an IM, thanks.

Thank you Phil for posting the pictures. My Grandparents lived in Woodwells Road at no 41 and my other half grew up in the next road St Agatha's Road.

Thank you again.

Wonderful photo's Phill. Particularly like the one of The Gate...the inner circle 8 buses. I rode around that corner on the Washwood Heath tram and bus so many times. I would be in my last year of school in 55. To be viewing that from here via this media...would be a nice theme for one of Di Poppets sketches. The Gate after all is a landmark for many here.

Here are a few more pics of Saltley that I have sorted out.

The first one is the High St taken in 1961
The second one is the junction of Parkfield Rd and Couchman Rd in 1955
The third is Reginald Rd 1973
The next is the High St again in 1950
The last is an early one of Highfield Rd no date I'm afraid.

Phil

Attachments

• Saltley High St 1961.jpg
    Saltley High St 1961.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 182
  • Saltley Parkfield Rd - Couchman Rd 1955.jpg
    Saltley Parkfield Rd - Couchman Rd 1955.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 202
  • Saltley Reginald Rd .jpg
    Saltley Reginald Rd .jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 196
  • Saltley High St 1950.jpg
    Saltley High St 1950.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 190
  • Saltley Highfield Rd (2).jpg
    Saltley Highfield Rd (2).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 189
Very fine shots with the trams. The Highfield road shot is an oldie and am trying to position where it was on that road. Anyway I suppose you had to ride down the centre of the road when the milkman had been by. Whoops...I am thinking about left hand drive.

Fantastic pics pmc. I went to the Rosary at the top of Parkfield Road and remember well the shop on the corner of Parkfield and Couchman Roads, it was run by two sisters. In the summer it would be packed full of kids buying their homemade ice lollies. The Highfield road shot was taken from the Alum Rock Road end. Just out of shot on the right hand side would have been Jesters stores. I have a similar pc taken around the same time that shows Jesters.

One last photo, this one is for Rupert, and is a better one of Saltley Gate as it was called. Though it may be of poorer quality.

Phil

Attachments

• Saltley The Gate, 1949.jpg
    Saltley The Gate, 1949.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 180
An artists impression of a tram relacement 56A about to cross Saltley Viaduct c.10/1950 .

Attachments

• b-bus on saltley viaduct 4[1].jpg
    b-bus on saltley viaduct 4[1].jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited by a moderator:
here are some pictures that macca posted have took the liberty of highlighting them a little bit my thanks to HER

Last edited:
Phil have you one of the Gate garage Saltley?. Jean.

Jean,

I'm not sure where you mean, do you mean the garage in Nechells place outside the gas works or do you mean the one at the end of Washwood Heath Rd by Arley Rd.

I think I have one of the one in Nechells Place, but its covered in pickets (miners).

Phil

Macca My profound apologies for that and as I have messed about with your pictures and your er lineage I will have another tinker with the photos and send them on to you thank you again
icon14.gif

Hi PMC (dont know your name),
I am just looking at some photos of Alum Rock you posted in December. One I love is the road I was born in and lived in till I was 24, Reginald Road. Its a great photo. They are all fantastic, thank you.
Wendy

Back