• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saltley & Alum Rock

Hi Graham. Yes, Harry Rose. I think his car was pretty flashy. Do you remember the lad's name that I used to go to school with? I remember being in his front room with him telling ghost stories of spirits coming out of the wall to grab you. I didn't lean against a wall for years afterwards; well, I was quite young and very gullible.
Hi Phil, where did this lad live, that you went to school with.
Marsh hill or Nansen?

Ok then that was Harry jnr.
The Roses moved to run Perry Common post office, then moved to Sutton where Harry snr became a councillor.
Not yet looked at Marsh Hill
I thought it funny that I recognised the name Harry. Makes sense now. Thanks for your help. It's good to get in touch and share memories like this. I lost touch with a lot of people when mom and dad went to Somerset. They went when I was living in Argentina, so when I got back my wife and I settled in the Harborne area and started over.

I thought it funny that I recognised the name Harry. Makes sense now. Thanks for your help. It's good to get in touch and share memories like this. I lost touch with a lot of people when mom and dad went to Somerset. They went when I was living in Argentina, so when I got back my wife and I settled in the Harborne area and started over.
So funny how coincidence occurs, I have recently formed a small group of gkn ex apprentices, from the mid 60s and strangely enough your dad's name cropped up as one of my ex apprentice pals worked with him at Birwelco......small world.

I moved to Coventry after my first marriage broke up in the 80s and had a successful life working at Jaguar.

Hi Graham. Yes, Harry Rose. I think his car was pretty flashy. Do you remember the lad's name that I used to go to school with? I remember being in his front room with him telling ghost stories of spirits coming out of the wall to grab you. I didn't lean against a wall for years afterwards; well, I was quite young and very gullible.
Harry Rose and Gwen his wife were friends of our parents and we used to go on holiday with them sometimes - I have a photo of us all in Ramsgate. We all packed into a large old ambulance that Harry bought to make the journey. Mom used to look after Harry Rose junior as both Harry Snr. and Gwen were busy at the garage in Washwood Heath Road. He also had an Austin Sherline. I dont know if thats how you spell it but it was a big posh car that we sometimes went out in. They sold the garage and bought a post office in Perry Barr.
Wish I could remember Danny Maguire - he would have lived next door to Harry Rose. But cant remember that.

So funny how coincidence occurs, I have recently formed a small group of gkn ex apprentices, from the mid 60s and strangely enough your dad's name cropped up as one of my ex apprentice pals worked with him at Birwelco......small world.

I moved to Coventry after my first marriage broke up in the 80s and had a successful life working at Jaguar.
Hi again Phil,
I am still in touch with Roger Mansell just at christmas mainly. He married later in life and had no children. His mom lived in Reginald Road till she died.
Also the two brothers in the flats were Tony and Donald Lattie. I think their father was Italian.

Harry Rose and Gwen his wife were friends of our parents and we used to go on holiday with them sometimes - I have a photo of us all in Ramsgate. We all packed into a large old ambulance that Harry bought to make the journey. Mom used to look after Harry Rose junior as both Harry Snr. and Gwen were busy at the garage in Washwood Heath Road. He also had an Austin Sherline. I dont know if thats how you spell it but it was a big posh car that we sometimes went out in. They sold the garage and bought a post office in Perry Barr.
Wish I could remember Danny Maguire - he would have lived next door to Harry Rose. But cant remember that.
Danny was my age, blonde hair.
He had older brother and sister, James your age and Margaret married.
They moved down from Scotland when Dan's mom died.

Dad got another job after Birwelco moved to Halesowen and the Aston factory closed, but then that place closed too. Andrea's husband, David Brookes, worked at the Jag but left after some argument or other. Which meant they were both out of work at the same time, so they sold up and bought a shop in Somerset together, big enough for them all to live in and run together. They did this while I was living abroad so I wasn't part of the move. I remember the main GKN building from when I was very young and they had Christmas Parities there for children of employees.

Hi again Phil,
I am still in touch with Roger Mansell just at christmas mainly. He married later in life and had no children. His mom lived in Reginald Road till she died.
Also the two brothers in the flats were Tony and Donald Lattie. I think their father was Italian.
Does Roger have an email? I'd like to say hello to him after all these years. His mom was in our house every day for a cup of tea and a chat, so we were close as families. The last time I saw his mother was many years after my parents left Birmingham, and she was invited to my Aunt and Uncle's anniversary do. I gave her a lift home and we had a nice chat in the car. This is a nice photo of us on holiday together At Dovercourt Bay in the good old 'Hi Di Hi' days.

Attachments

• Dovercourt Bay1web.jpg
    Dovercourt Bay1web.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 30
Does Roger have an email? I'd like to say hello to him after all these years. His mom was in our house every day for a cup of tea and a chat, so we were close as families. The last time I saw his mother was many years after my parents left Birmingham, and she was invited to my Aunt and Uncle's anniversary do. I gave her a lift home and we had a nice chat in the car. This is a nice photo of us on holiday together At Dovercourt Bay in the good old 'Hi Di Hi' days.
Phil, You cant really post anyones email on here as everyone can see it. But if you contact me privately we cant talk.
By the way before you came to live in Reginald Road (not sure what year that was), the man who lived in your house kept pigs up the garden. When they were ready for slaughter he used to drive them down the entry and I remember the squealing! I have photos I could show you in an email and have one of all the kids in the yard including you and Andrea in a photo in Styches garden.
I now live in Suffolk and look across the sea to Dovercourt!
Wendy

Thanks Grahamhowki your right Danny was a great footballer thanks for giving me Terry's surname I remember his ginger hair knocked about with them for a couple of years

Thanks Grahamhowki your right Danny was a great footballer thanks for giving me Terry's surname I remember his ginger hair knocked about with them for a couple of years
Hi Bish, Remember playing football with Danny in his back garden, on the patch by the maisonettes, (till Nelly Newbold) chased us off, then it was a trip to Adderley park on my bike with Dan on the back

Hi. Graham. Adderley park brings back memorises play football there for Rockwood Albion and used to watch them when I was younger in the fifties.

Great team Bish, remember watching them as a kid, probably my first experience of decent level football, before being old enough to go to St Andrews in 1958.
Where did you live and which school did you attend?

Hi. Graham. I lived in Phillimore road and went to Leigh road like you I'm a blues supporter not got much time for todays football its not the game I knew. Do you still live in Brum.

Hi. Graham. I lived in Phillimore road and went to Leigh road like you I'm a blues supporter not got much time for todays football its not the game I knew. Do you still live in Brum.
Hi Bish, agree about the footie, not like it was.
Had some mates who went to Leigh, what year was you born

Hi. Graham. Born 1946 did you know Nobby Worth think his name was John lived in your road. I knew Danny and Terry from the youth club in Edmund road. Still live in Brum Castle Bromwich had a look around the old end a few times makes your heart bleed, still nothing stays the same.

Back