• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Saltley & Alum Rock

Adderley Park, Saltley, looking West towards city centre

Attachments

• 31453887-0C14-49A3-9A7C-CED8ADF902AB.jpeg
    31453887-0C14-49A3-9A7C-CED8ADF902AB.jpeg
    645.6 KB · Views: 32
I remember going to an event there. I am sure my brother said it was to commemorate 100 years (or it could have been 200 years) of the parks opening. Must have been in the late 50's early 60's as we lived in Ash Road from around 1954 to 1966.

I remember going to an event there. I am sure my brother said it was to commemorate 100 years (or it could have been 200 years) of the parks opening. Must have been in the late 50's early 60's as we lived in Ash Road from around 1954 to 1966.
Hello Sue,
Some more information re Adderley Park

Hi Covroad have been following these posts as i lived in Reginald Road and used to play in Adderley park as a kid late 50's early 60's my school was St Saviour's on the Rock and i played football there some times against the local schools like Adderley school although our home ground was Burney Lane. Would you or anyone following these posts have any information about St Saviour's school i haven't been able to find any regarding the old Victorian building or any photo's at all if anyone can help would appreciate many thank's keep posting your memories Blueboy.

Hi Covroad have been following these posts as i lived in Reginald Road and used to play in Adderley park as a kid late 50's early 60's my school was St Saviour's on the Rock and i played football there some times against the local schools like Adderley school although our home ground was Burney Lane. Would you or anyone following these posts have any information about St Saviour's school i haven't been able to find any regarding the old Victorian building or any photo's at all if anyone can help would appreciate many thank's keep posting your memories Blueboy.
Hello Blueboy,
I like you played football at Adderley Park, and the occasional game of cricket against National Carriers as they were called then. I will see what I can find out re your school and post.

Hi Guys,

Any old photos of Ralph Road, Saltley?

I've been scouring google for ages and haven't turned up anything! My dad's birthday is coming up would love to give him a picture of the street he lived on as a present.

Loving these old stories by the way.

Kind Regards,

Hi Guys,

Any old photos of Ralph Road, Saltley?

I've been scouring google for ages and haven't turned up anything! My dad's birthday is coming up would love to give him a picture of the street he lived on as a present.

Loving these old stories by the way.

Kind Regards,
Hi, welcome to the forum, this is from 1924, can't find any others though.

Attachments

• ralph-road-saltley-1924.jpg
    ralph-road-saltley-1924.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 41
Hi All, Anyone got a photograph of the Rosary Chapel, and the row of houses beside it, on Bridge Road, Saltley. We lived in those houses up until around 1968, but they have all been demolished, and replaced by an all weather pitch, for the school. Just like AK above, I have tried myself with no luck. ....Thanks

edTell me about it born and bread in Phillimore Rd there till 1974 used the Labour club in Highfield Rd. Bish.
My Aunty lived at 59 Phillimore road, Edie and Bertie her husband, had two sons Bertie and Francis, she also had twin daughters, who died at birth.

Thanks for posting those piccies, Macca. Brings back memories of when I was 'The man from the Pru' for much of the Alum Rock area in the 50's. :)
I bet you called at our house, sure we used to get 'the man form the pru', we lived at 44 Ash Road.

Probably been discussed before but how many of the roads in Saltley/Alum Rock are associated with the Adderley family?

Adderley Road obviously and also Arden Road, Hams Road, Hall Road (probably), Bowyer Road, Hartopp Road, George Arthur Road, Reginald Road, Ralph Road and Edmund Road. Possibly Craddock Road but can't see a connection to Ellesmere Road, Ash Road or Jersey Road which are in the vicinity. Any more?

All names mentioned are certainly associated with the Adderleys but builder could apply to them in the same way the castles of North Wales were built by Edward I.

All names mentioned are certainly associated with the Adderleys but builder could apply to them in the same way the castles of North Wales were built by Edward I.
My elderly neighbour back in the 1960's told me that the builder had named Reginald Road, where we lived, and the other name roads after his children. She knew a lot about the area and had lived there a long time.

Charles Bowyer Adderley's sons included a George Arthur and a Reginald, a brother Edmund, grandfather was Ralph, mother's name was Anne Maria Craddock Hartopp, his ancestors included Arden and Bowyer, and he lived at Hams Hall.

Charles Bowyer Adderley's sons included a George Arthur and a Reginald, a brother Edmund, grandfather was Ralph, mother's name was Anne Maria Craddock Hartopp, his ancestors included Arden and Bowyer, and he lived at Hams Hall.
So did he own the houses? Maybe she meant the guy who paid to have them built. She died a long time ago now and my memory from 60 years ago may be limited. I remember being about 10yrs old when we stopped paying rent and bought the house when the row was sold off. That's when we had the bathroom built and we said goodbye to the tin bath on the fence.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back