• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Salford Park Photos Please

Another report, probably written in the bar of the nearest pub. Designed to antagonise and increase circulation. Press reports often are and have frequently been quite wide of the mark. When I read reports of fires I attended it often seemed that they were writing about a completely different occurrence to the one I was at. Years of news reports have made me quite cynical. :)

While you may be right about Press reports in many cases, this one reports the words of Councilor Barton. He no doubt wished to antagonise certain sections, but would do so with the full backing of many residents in the area, including myself.

The M6 link passed with 200 yards and we were about half a mile from the Junction. Of course we never had a dog's chance of preventing the project and had to live in the polution.

Indeed major road works can blight peoples lives. lasting for many years. The problem with some town and road re-developments is that by the time they are conceived, debated - with claim and counter claim - and eventually constructed the reason for their need sometimes has gone. Planners often fail to put 'human nature' into the equation, consequently it is often their own ideas that come to the fore. Many pedestrianized zones in towns and cities are not good shopping areas for the shop owners. Whilst people find it easy to move around, their attitudes become relaxed and not totally focussed on shopping. Lots of people (mainly those under 60 ;) ) favour the hustle and bustle of shopping centres which creates a 'want to buy' feeling.
I admit I enjoyed the crowds and activity of Birmingham as a youngster, but as I have, since the age of sixteen lived in small places, I soon lost that viewpoint.

Now that is an interesting photo Davidfowler i had not seen that one before, there is a hell of a lot of detail in that picture,,, just look at how much has been pulled down/Lost to the modern landscape hey!!!!
David if you can post up some of your photo's of Salford bridge maybe the gravelly hill junction with slade road too if you have any that would be lovely,

Has anyone got any Copely hill or Lemington road also Powick road when it ran out onto gravelly hill!!! photo'd too please?

many thanks for the photo,s guy,s,

Ricco,,,

Used to ride on this track back in the 1960's when a member of Velo Club Central run by Bob Mansel who had a shop in Smethwick, bike by Major Nickols of West Brom.

Couple of photos inclding one of my girlfried at the time.

Attachments

• Salford Parl Cycle Track.jpg
    Salford Parl Cycle Track.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Salford.jpg
    Salford.jpg
    827.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Anne @ Aston cycle track (2).jpg
    Anne @ Aston cycle track (2).jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 31
Used to ride on this track back in the 1960's when a member of Velo Club Central run by Bob Mansel who had a shop in Smethwick, bike by Major Nickols of West Brom.

Couple of photos inclding one of my girlfried at the time.
Htiek, welcome to the Forum, enjoy! I used to like to watch at the Velo but never really liked (to do) that racing. Preferred TT and Massed start.

Back