• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Salford Park Photos Please

HI David
wel i have to admitt if my memory serves me correctly you are quite right in the sense that it was the most popular pitch around the ressor
but saying that i recall a huge inlet on one section and on match days [ competition days ] especialy they would jockey for there postions
i recall the orinional boat house and when they removed it i thought it spoilt the view across the water from the other side
best wishes Alan; ASTONIAN;;

Hi Morturn Thank you for the reply, did they call the houses i live in Art's & craft style then??
very interesting indeed! your local knowledge is amazing sir!

Many thank's,

Ricco,,

Hi Ricco

I do recall there are a few arts and craft style houses after the bridge what would date around 1919 to 1920. Slade Road is in deed an interesting, but quite unnoticed place.

WOW!!!! David those photo's are great i had not seen 3 of them before great post indeed! do you have anymore please?

Thank you David & all,,

Ricco,,,,

I have a couple more but they're not going on like the others. Don't know why but I'll keep trying.

Is there a holy grail of footage ie of a tram journey from stockland green down the slade road under the railway bridge and onto litchfield road past the Salford park???

oh how i would love to see that or take that journey just to see what was where & what road's have gone around spaghetti junction,

a trip from my house by the railway bridge to salford park past the muckman & gravelly junction then around the park,,,,,,,,

can anyone put that trip together in photo's at all???

maybe one day footage from spaghetti junction planners who surveved that area in the late 1960's will show the original image's or moving footage hey please please please,,,

Ricco,,,,

Can't remember any fairs at Salford Park, but I do remember watching cycle races there, Reg Harris used to attend.
Got his autograph once, but that has long since disappeared.

Re: Salforg park photo,s please,

I know it's been a while since this was posted, but I was wondering...

The picture looking towards the railway bridge on Slade Road includes a row of early 1900's houses, other pictures of the junction with George Road show similar houses where the Brookvale pub now stands - in between is Slade Road school - built in about 1903.

So where did the older style houses go ? - now we have the Brookvale pub (1936 ?) and a row of houses that look to have been built around the same time as Chartley Road and Hillside Road (1936) - why were the other houses removed ?

Anybody have any ideas ?

Re: Salforg park photo,s please,

I have a photo of our dear friend SIR Graham WEBB racing on the track. that I assume is long gone at Salford Park. Also rode the track myself a few times. John Crump Parker. Co USA

spent many happy days fishing in Salford park in the 60s I am sure there was a big pike in there but I never saw it

spent many happy days fishing in Salford park in the 60s I am sure there was a big pike in there but I never saw it
The pool was drained to build the expressway and all the fish moved to Witton Lakes and Brookvale Park. There was a TV article and an enormous pike taken out.

Brookvale Park was always a decent fishing lake, but Witton lakes seemed to be polluted. Within a few days there were thousands of dead fish washed up, which I assumed were from Salford Pool.

It suggests that someone, who made the decision to move the fish, did not do any ecological research beforehand.
Another example of why animals and other creatures are always in second place when developments take place.

Well today we would do an environmental assessment which would have been great for the fish, but fuel for the red tape elf and safety moaning brigade

Hi Lenbrum,

Welcome to the forum, like you I used to spend many a happy Saturday / Sunday morning fishing at Salford Park with both my Dad & Uncle or alternatively Red House Park (Great Barr), Pype Hayes Park. When my Nan lived in Lozells at that time her window cleaner (Eric) was considered a very good pike angler who regularly fished Salford Park.

Lozellian.

My dad and I use to fish at Salford park I can remember coming out of Salford park ready to go home there were loads of people with flags dad said they were German supporters coming from Villa Park it was the world cup in 1966 I loved going for a days fishing with my dad unusual for a girl I even meet my hubby though fishing

Yes it was happy memories my hubby was my dad's fishing friend I use to go with my 3 uncle's and my dad fishing all over the West midlands the first time I went I fell in my mom never found out or I would not been aloud to go again

The pool was drained to build the expressway and all the fish moved to Witton Lakes and Brookvale Park. There was a TV article and an enormous pike taken out.

Brookvale Park was always a decent fishing lake, but Witton lakes seemed to be polluted. Within a few days there were thousands of dead fish washed up, which I assumed were from Salford Pool.

56108FAC-ADA4-49CB-B8EC-A6D47007F32C.jpegF8F39CD2-675D-410A-B019-26E981BD8157.jpeg

The first attempt to gather the fish from Salford Park September 1967...The 37,000 that got away...

Bad picture as usual from the Birmingham Daily Post of October 1967 of the further attempt to remove the fish from Salford Park...

DC890429-21A8-4649-B2D6-F05C39FE5874.jpeg

It suggests that someone, who made the decision to move the fish, did not do any ecological research beforehand.
Another example of why animals and other creatures are always in second place when developments take place.
9F9EFED8-E833-4B6F-9198-C87631DD6183.jpeg
Oh dear! They thought more about fish than people!

Another report, probably written in the bar of the nearest pub. Designed to antagonise and increase circulation. Press reports often are and have frequently been quite wide of the mark. When I read reports of fires I attended it often seemed that they were writing about a completely different occurrence to the one I was at. Years of news reports have made me quite cynical. :)

Back