• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Salford Park Photos Please

If I remember rightly Eric, the banks were quite secure.
I think it was more to do with how it was effecting the fishing and the fish stocks.

THis has jogged the memory I had a spell going down and watching these boats.I think they still have them at Bodymoor Heath.Dek

It was one of the lakes in Kingsbury Water Park Dek, I used to go and watch it on a Sunday Morning up until about two years ago but that has now stopped due to the growth of the poison algae on the lakes.
I used to watch it a lot at Salford Park and I agree with Templer. The anglers had a lot to do with it stopping and I seem to remember the arguments that went with it but I understand the the final nail was the building of Spaghetti Junction. The Lake was drained for a long while, they all moved elsewhere and the rest is history as they say.

Hi Templer.I have some great memories of Salford Park. the fishing lake
all the different sports they held there. When i was nipper my uncle
wanted me to join the bike racing club there

Hi Guy's i gather you had a lot of photo,s removed after the Hack of the website, well is it at all possible for anyone with photo's of salford park to re post them up again please, as i would love to see all those wonderful photo's that got removed by the hack!!!

also slade road too please, many many thank's

Ricco,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guy's i gather you had a lot of photo,s removed after the Hack of the website, well is it at all possible for anyone with photo's of salford park to re post them up again please, as i would love to see all those wonderful photo's that got removed by the hack!!! also slade road too please, many many thank's
Ricco,,,
The following photos connected with Slade Rd are on the forum server if they are of any use to you.
Unfortunately none of Salford Park. I can see a 1929 aerial pic of the park on britainfromabove https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw028055?search=salford park&ref=13
The first four pics below are from the 1950s
Slade_Rd_Erdington__1955.jpg

Slade_road_Prefabs.jpg

Sand_Pits_Garage_Slade_rd_Erdington_1952.jpg

img547-1.jpg
1913-SladeRoad-embed.jpg

Erd_Erd_Arms_Slade_Rd_jcn.jpg

Erd_Slade_Rd_1915.jpg

Erd_Slade_Rd_Stockland_Green_1911.jpg

Erd_Slade_Rd_Tram223_1918.jpg

Erd_Slade_Rd_Stockland_Green_2_tram.jpg

Erd_Slade_Rd_Tram_1912.jpg

Gravelly_Hill_Slade_rd12.jpg

Gravelly_Hill_Slade_Rd_9.jpg

Gravelly_Hill_Slade_Rd_Boarding_school.jpg

Gravelly_Hill_Slade_Road_.jpg

Gravelly_Hill_Slade_Rd_5.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Oldmohawk some cracking photo's there mate really great to see them, thank you very much, do you have any of the other side of the bridge too please??

Many thank.s again,

Ricco,,,

Re: Salforg park photo,s please,

Hi thank,s i just looked at britain from above, that used to be one huge lake hey!!

Ricco,,

Re: Salforg park photo,s please,

Hi Ricco - I copied the pics below from the forum before the hack attack. I'm not totally sure they are Slade Rd and will remove them if they are not.
attachment-28.jpg

attachment-29.jpg

Yes Mate they are slade road indeed,,2nd pic is where i live:peaceful:
i wish i had a better photo of my home back then!!!!

look how nice & clean the street's are!!!

Ricco,,,

1st pic (post 5) is right by Hillside Road where my late Wife and I spent 23 happy years from 1962 till 1985 when we moved to Chelmsley Wood. The shop on the left before the bridge was run by Asians and is where we obtained our fruit and veg. Happy days

Super set of photographs there. I know Slade Road well; went to Slade Road school and my grandparents lived of Hunton Hill.

Thank you for posting them

In this Slade Road 3 Way Junction pic from post #2 it interesting to see the 'lattice work' of tram wires above the road. I also notice an interesting looking car on the footpath in front of the building on the left.

Erd_Erd_Arms_Slade_Rd_jcn.jpg

Hi all

Amazing pictures!! Does anyone have any memories of Salford House otherwise known as Hillside House. It was a large house which took up the area which is now occupied by the triangle of Kegworth Road, Hillside Road and Chartley Road.

Thanks

James

Some cracking photo's there Mohawk, do you have anymore please?:peaceful:

Oh has anyone found any of salford park as yet?

Many thank's,

Ricco,,,,

Hi Ricco - None of the photos are mine, I typed in special lines of text which made photos in the forum database with the word 'Slade' in their titles appear in my post #2.

I notice that the first photo in post #2 (dated 1955) shows the shop which Eric noticed in the first pic in post#5. The pic in post#2 has no tram lines but the pic in post #5 has so it must be earlier than 1953. I'll have another look around because I did not use all the Slade Rd photos, but very many photos just have titles such as 'img' which makes searches difficult.
oldmohawk

Back